Seeking advise finding good antilogging software

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Seeking advise finding good antilogging software

Postby ChairPotato » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:53 pm

As far as I know LastPass doesn't do anti-keylogging, apart from their on-screen keyboard for logging into LastPass. I hope I'm not breaking any rules to mention some other software since it's not competing with LastPass as far as I know. If I am, please let me know instead of just deleting the post but I can't find any anti-keylogger I might try except for maybe Raxco PefectGuard. Has anyone been able to test it and see if it works for real? I'm sure I could install it and use it but testing it against actual keyloggers I'm trying to defend against is beyond me. Thanks :)
ChairPotato

Re: Seeking advise finding good antilogging software

Postby jonat » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:33 pm

The main risk of keyloggers is on systems you don't control. If you run good anti-malware software and are not careless about clicking on links or visiting risky sites, I wouldn't consider specific anti-keylogging tools. Most good AV tools can detect keyloggers.
jonat

Postby ChairPotato » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:13 pm

jonat Wrote:The main risk of keyloggers is on systems you don't control. If you run good anti-malware software and are not careless about clicking on links or visiting risky sites, I wouldn't consider specific anti-keylogging tools. Most good AV tools can detect keyloggers.

Thanks but it doesn't seem that they can detect them because the website that is selling the anit-keylogger is also providing a little keylogging tool that shows you it's capturing keystrokes without any complaint from AV. I realise that I'm the one who installed the software so maybe my AV allows the behaviour since I installed the software but that isn't the point. It shouldn't have allowed me to install the software since it's a keylogger and should as well tell me that my keystrokes are being recorded elsewhere in real-time. I would consider that real protection.

I also don't think I can rely on not being careless about clicking on links as I thought I was completely safe on the LastPass forum but I got a malware warning from Google Chrome anyway just clicking to see a topic.

BTW, the only thing that the keylogging test didn't capture is LastPass's very own on screen keyboard. (Kudos to LastPass)

I used to use RoboForm but would never use their syncing options because I didn't really trust them(anyone) and found LastPass after listening to Steve Gibson so my question is, is there anyone like Steve who can convince me or the general public if they really do anti-logging or if that's even really possible.
ChairPotato

Postby LSteven » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:55 am

I've been using KeyScrambler for the last few years. It seems to be working great, but I would never rely on antilogging software alone. It's always a good thing to have that extra security layer, but you should still use two-factor authentication for your LP account. That way, even if your master password is compromised, your other passwords remain safe.

Another option is to install a fingerprint reader and never worry about having to enter your master password again.
LSteven

Postby kotor610 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:44 pm

I'd look at Zemana, it is pretty expensive if you buy the full fledged version, but it protects you from a wide array of logging programs, such as clipboard and screen cap logging. they do offer a free version which only does keylogging.

as was stated before, these should be treated as a last resort and not a replacement for AV/ Firewall solutions. just a supplementation.

also what AV are you using? i find it odd that a AV wouldn't flag the signature, especially since it's goal is essentially to show how useless your AV is.
kotor610

Postby ChairPotato » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 am

I use Avira and consider it pretty good although not perfect even at finding viruses. Not complaining that it doesn't do keylogging when no other AV(at least that I know of) does either. I'm definitely going to check out Zemana. Thanks for the tip :)
ChairPotato

Return to Off Topic