Securing a cell phone?

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Securing a cell phone?

Postby badunc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:37 am

I'm finally carrying a smart phone and have subscribed to LastPass Premium. Now that I have data that I care about on my phone, what are the best ways to secure it if it lost or stolen? I am very careful with it, of course, but stuff happens and I want to ensure that it's difficult-to-impossible to retrieve any personal info from the phone if it ends up in the wrong hands. Thanks for any advice you can offer!
badunc

Re: Securing a cell phone?

Postby jonat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:34 am

Which OS on your phone? Adding a 6 (or larger) character PIN will help. I wouldn't really worry about your LP vault unless you set the option to remain logged in or remember your password. iPhones with a long PIN are so secure that law enforcement agencies are complaining - Android phones less so.
jonat

Postby badunc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:47 am

It's an Android and I do not have LP saving the password. :) Thanks for the tip!
badunc

Postby Amber » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:05 am

badunc Wrote:It's an Android and I do not have LP saving the password. :) Thanks for the tip!

You should also add the pin code reprompt for your LastPass app, and consider restricting mobile access to the device(s) you plan to use on a regular basis (LastPass Icon > My LastPass Vault > Settings > Mobile Devices). If the device is lost or stolen, you can then disable access from it.

And we generally recommend against checking the "save password" option for the mobile apps.

Best,
Amber
Amber

Postby badunc » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Thanks, Amber!
badunc

Return to Off Topic