Yahoo account hacked, suggestions for protecting myself?

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Yahoo account hacked, suggestions for protecting myself?

Postby joecooler » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:45 pm

Somehow hackers got the password to my yahoo email account - this morning several messages were sent from it, that contained links to a page that downloads malware to your machine. Yahoo also notified me that in the past 12 hours my account was accessed from Japan and Poland.

Of course my first action was to change my yahoo password, security questions, and other security features. However I'm concerned about collateral damage - one of my other email addresses was linked to this account (yahoo requires you to have a secondary email address), and I use my yahoo ID for a few other web sites. Also, my yahoo inbox contained a number of confirmation emails from web purchases I've made over the years using this account.

So, my question for this group is, besides changing my password and other security features, what else should I do to contain the damage? Do I need to be concerned about the other information that was probably taken from my account, or this a don't-care? Is there anything hackers could to with the purchase confirmations and other emails?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
joecooler

Re: Yahoo account hacked, suggestions for protecting myself?

Postby jonat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Most likely all they were interested in was an account they could spam from. I don't see the other info to be an issue. I assume you now have a long and complex password, preferably one LP generated for you or you used a well-chosen passphrase.
jonat

Postby joecooler » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:45 pm

There are several accounts I have that use this yahoo id that I'm a little worried about. I'm thinking about creating a second yahoo account to use for generic web sites that demand that you register w/an email address to get access (I suspect this is how the hackers found me). If I do this, is it more secure to use this new account as the ID for the sites I'm worried about, or should I leave 'em on the old account now that I've updated the password and security settings?
joecooler

Postby jonat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:52 pm

Given that some blackhats already know your old ID, I would consider that one "compromised". I will comment that for Yahoo, it doesn't seem to matter how secure your password is, hackers have ways in. I have found my Yahoo account compromised several times, each time I had long and complex passwords. Also, I don't use my Yahoo email address anywhere (it was there mainly for when I first signed up for Flickr but that now has a different address.) I don't know if Yahoo has some weakness in its system that encourages breakins, but I don't trust it.
jonat

Postby joecooler » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Interesting, I have to agree, after this I have 0 trust in yahoo. I had to make a new yahoo account as I need a yahoo address for the email group I manage, but I'll be moving EVERYTHING else over to google. I already have a google account but don't want to use it for some sites; I've made a new google account that I'll use for the "throw-aways".
joecooler

Return to Off Topic