Deadlock: Lost multifactor device and cannot get into email

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Deadlock: Lost multifactor device and cannot get into email

Postby aelshar » Mon May 21, 2018 4:29 pm

This hasn't happened to me but I want to avoid it. So here's the simple scenario:

1. You use LastPass to generate a password for your main email and do not memorize it.
2. You have multifactor authentication on and you lose that device.
3. You try to get into your LastPass and it allows you to turn off multi-factor authentication, sends you an email on your main email address to get back into your vault, but you do not memorize the password for your email anymore.
4. You're screwed?

Is there a way to work around this case and get back into your vault?

I can see that if you were still signed into your email on another device you might be lucky and be able to receive the email to get back in but that isn't a solution for this. You can also try to memorize/write down the LastPass generated password for your email but that kind of defeats the "Single password to memorize" purpose of LastPass for me.

Any thoughts?
aelshar

Re: Deadlock: Lost multifactor device and cannot get into em

Postby FlyingHawk » Mon May 21, 2018 7:37 pm

There's always SMS as a backup 2FA method. You can lose your phone, but as long as you're still you, presumably you can always get another phone with the same number.
FlyingHawk

Postby FlyingHawk » Mon May 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Another way would be to use a family member or a trusted friend's phone number for backup SMS 2FA. Recovery time would be even shorter.
FlyingHawk

Postby aelshar » Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 pm

@FlyingHawk, I totally overlooked the SMS 2FA option. Getting a new phone with the same number or adding a trusted person as a backup should both work. Thnx!
aelshar

Return to Off Topic