Is LP always on?

Moderators: admin, azitnay, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Is LP always on?

Postby Dzash2 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi -
I'm migrating from Data Guardian to Last Pass. DG is an app kept on the computer (not cloud) that stores PWs in a db that is unlocked with a single master PW. I unlock it - look up the PW I need and then quit it.

I thought LP was a great idea but I'm feeling that I have less protection than with DG.

Maybe I'm missing something but if someone walks up to my computer - at home or work - they can just go to any site (credit card, bank, Paypal, etc) and LP will just log them in without further interaction. They don't have to know any of my PW - LP just fills them in.

I'm afraid I don't get the security of this. I get the convenience but it seems much less secure than a locked db.

Am I using LP correctly??

TIA for your attention to this super newb question.

D2
Dzash2

Re: Is LP always on?

Postby Lars » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:19 pm

You can simply log out of your LastPass account, at which point all your data is completely inaccessible.
Much like you describe your usage of the other manager; log in, retrieve your data, then log out.

You can also use it differently, by remaining logged in, but requiring your Master Password when accessing certain sites and your payment information.
Lars

Postby jpenny84 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:33 pm

In the preferences you can also tell LastPass to sign out for you automatically after certain periods of inactivity.
jpenny84

Postby rej » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:32 pm

To log out any time: LP Icon>Logoff (btm of dropdown)
rej

Postby Dzash2 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:10 pm

Thanks All for the replies. I think jpenny84's suggestion fits my situation best.
d2
Dzash2

Postby Yiuududucc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:04 pm

a little late to the party, but I also (in addition to 10 minute logouts), encrypt my hard drive, and require google auth for login.

To get in, they need:
1. My desktop to be unlocked
2. My Password for my account
3. My lastpass username and password
4. My cell phone
5. My fingerprint to unlock it
6. to accomplish this all without me knowing

compiling all of this, you can be very safe if you try!
Yiuududucc

Return to Off Topic