search function" in the notes secure

Get first access to testing new builds and betas for LastPass

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

search function" in the notes secure

Postby pluni32 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:39 am

Hello
Congratulations LastPass and improvements that have been made.
I asked long ago, to introduce a "search function" in the notes secure. This will greatly facilitate research in an important note
Thank you in advance
:shock:
pluni32

Re: search function" in the notes secure

Postby ric » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:23 pm

I agree, this is an important feature to have. However, it's rather buried and the default 200 characters for search didn't work for me. Had I not stumbled on this post it may have taken me a long time to realize the feature was even present.

After changing the setting to 999999 characters it works as I expect.

My question is why isn't this enabled by default and why is it set to only the first 200 characters by default? On my system I didn't notice any performance hit at all. I've got a little over 500 entries.

If this is a comparatively small database and there's a more serious performance issue on large databases, I'd still suggest moving the feature to the main search box so that it is more discoverable. You could have an advanced button that opens up extra search options including search within notes and character limits (with an option to choose whole note), with an additional checkbox to make default.

Hopefully this will get enabled on the web version of the vault eventually as well.
ric

Postby Ron F. » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:32 am

Thanks for the post guys. I didn't know there was a setting I could change, until I searched for this post.
Now, I'd like it to search within the note, and highlight the keyword ... and possibly give a way to step through the keyword instances (if it appears more than once).
It would be really sweet to have this feature on the mobile version as well.
Ron F.

Postby JoeSiegrist » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:18 am

ric Wrote:My question is why isn't this enabled by default and why is it set to only the first 200 characters by default? On my system I didn't notice any performance hit at all. I've got a little over 500 entries.

It's highly variable dependent on the size of your notes and the number you have -- we have people with hundreds of notes that are 50K each -- this makes it very intense.
JoeSiegrist

Postby dmmst19 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:58 am

Ron F. Wrote:Thanks for the post guys. I didn't know there was a setting I could change, until I searched for this post.
Now, I'd like it to search within the note, and highlight the keyword ... and possibly give a way to step through the keyword instances (if it appears more than once).
It would be really sweet to have this feature on the mobile version as well.

New user here... I was struggling with this very issue, and I was able to step through a note highlighting each occurrence in turn by logging into the online Vault (https://lastpass.com), doing a regular search (which identifies the note that has the search string in it), then opening that note and using the normal Firefox Ctrl-F text search and F3 to find next occurrence.

I've not found a way to do this in the Firefox plugin though, only through the website.

Dennis
dmmst19

Postby algeorge » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi Lastpass provide an excuse that if the search notes are large, it would slow the search of Lastpass key items which is correct.
What they dont seem to grasp, is that for most of us, its not a requirement that the vault urls are including the search of notes in the key search, we want a specific search of the note eg only when [secure note] is opened, it provides a search for items only within those notes, not across the Vault urls etc.
This way, if [ ] include Notes in search = unchecked, when Notes are opened the search applies within notes only. Conversely, if checked, the search could be slower at the users inconvenience.

Unfortunately I've asked for this feature several times and it seems unlikely they are going to bother providing this function.
Cheers,
Alistair.
algeorge

Postby dmmst19 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:56 pm

I've noticed that the plugin for Chrome allows searching within the body of a opened Secure Note, using the browser's regular Ctrl-F search. This doesn't help if you need to search across your Notes, but if you know which note has the text you're trying to find, you can use this to jump right to it.

In my case a have only a couple of Notes, each of which is 1000+ lines long, and each note is a different category of stuff so I know which note the thing I'm looking for is in. So the Chrome browser Ctrl-F search (once I've opened the note) is usually sufficient.

I agree that it's presumptuous of Lastpass to think they know better than the user about the tradeoff between search speed and searchability of notes. It should be the users' decision whether to take the speed hit - there are times when I'd be willing to wait 5, 10, 15, 20, or even 30 seconds to get a search result across all the notes. As long as I know ahead of time that it could be slow, I can determine whether the search is important enough to wait that long.
dmmst19

Return to LastPass PreBuild & Beta