Multi-step logins

A list of problematic websites and workarounds to make them work

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Multi-step logins

Postby drew » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:19 am

Sites with multi-step logins (for example, Bank of America, where you enter your social security number on one page and your password on the next page) are a particularly tough case. Undoubtedly, these sites have implemented these multi-step methods in part to foil password managers.

LastPass remains committed to solving such problems, and as such, we do indeed support many of these sites. However, if you attempt to import such a site from another data source (for example, Firefox Password Manager), LastPass will typically not have enough information to complete the multi-step login successfully.

So, if you hit a case like this, we recommend that you remove the problematic site from LastPass, browse to the site, and login manually. LastPass should then have enough information to save the multi-step login properly.

Drew
drew

Re: Multi-step logins

Postby JoeSiegrist » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:12 am

For a little clarity on this -- LastPass is smart enough to remember multiple steps, so don't assume that it's broken if we don't ask you to save site until after the second step... keep moving forward.
JoeSiegrist

Postby knightnet » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:44 am

Hi,

I have several sites where the second (sometimes third) stage of the login involves a selection of answers to questions.

There will be more questions than are displayed at any one time.

Is there any way for LP to handle this? I would have thought it wouldn't be too difficult to do and it would certainly save me loads of time.
knightnet

Postby decairns » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:48 pm

This does not seem to work for me. My bank (SSFCU) requires my account number on the first page with a SignOn button, then the second page requires my PIN with another SignOn button. I followed your instructions and deleted the site, then went through the login process manually, and then clicked save site in the LastPass toolbar. I then go to another browser window, go to my bank's site and nothing happens! However, if I click on the LastPass icon at the end of the list is my site name, unfortunately with my account number shown in ()! When I click on this, I get a five item submenu, (Edit, AutoFill, Copy Username, Copy Password, and Delete) When I go to Sites my new Bank login site is there and when I select it it will load the site and then my screen blanks and then comes back the same as before, with the cursor in the blank account number field. I am using Firefox/3.0.6 Can you help me, please?

This seems pretty similar to the posts about BOA. I happen to use Suncoast Schools Federal Credit Union, which bills itself as one of the largest in the nation ($6 billion) so perhaps someone else out there is using it and can help? I am using the online banking facility, SunNet and the initial URL is --> https://sunnet.suncoastfcu.org/SignIn/I ... ignIn.aspx

Thanks,

David
decairns

Postby johngalt2010 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Any answer to this?
johngalt2010

Postby RMittelman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:47 pm

I am having the same issue, with several web sites which have 2-step logons. As I am new to LP, I imported my RoboForm passcards. RoboForm works perfectly well with 2-step logons. They have you create one passcard for the user ID page, and another one for the password page.

Since I know nothing about LP, I did it the same way, using 2 different vault entries.
Here is what happens:
You get to the first page and nothing happens at all. If you fill in your user ID and submit, the second page comes up, and works perfectly in LP. It fills in the password and submits it.
When requesting help, all I get back is an email saying to do the famous step 5.

Here is how I "sort of" solved the issue:
I went to the user ID page and typed it in. Before submitting, I clicked the LP button/link to remember entries. This created a new vault entry which had the real name of the input field in it.
I say "sort of" because using this new vault entry, the first page does come up, and LP fills in the user ID. Then the page goes gray, and LP displays the message that it is submitting. Nothing else happens. I have to close down that message and submit the page myself. At that point, the second page does come up, and LP fills and submits. So it does "sort of" work.

I am having the issue in PayTrust.com as well as other of my bank sites.
RMittelman

Postby jtierney » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:13 pm

Having the exact same problems as RMittelman with Paytrust.

Anybody ever solve this one?
jtierney

Postby bryanwachs » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:03 am

Hello

Can we get an answer please? I am having problems with Paytrust too.

thanks
bryanwachs

Postby Gremlin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Hello All,
I'm new to this forum, but not others, so here we go.

My Health Savings Account is with Optum Health Bank which I believe is part of United Health Care, a U.S. health insurance company.
The login for this site is the most frustrating multipart pain in a88 I've ever seen. I mean they really hate automation, but I've made LastPass work with it.
Here's how. (Your mileage may vary) (LP is LastPass, of course.)

1. Browse to the main page of the site.
2. Click the login button. The first login page comes up. The login page could be on the site's main page.
3. Enter your user name,(or whatever your first info. requirement is), but before you click submit, go to the LP interface (in my case, the LP icon in the upper right corner of my Firefox browser.) and on the drop down menu click "Save all Entered Data"
4. An LP box appears in which you can change the entry name, select the auto login checkbox etc. Check the auto login box, and click OK.
5. Now click submit on your website login page.

You will now have one entry in your LP vault.

Optum then requires you to answer one of three security questions, which are randomly selected. (It says "We're unable to identify you....blah, blah", and also has buttons to select "personal computer, register it" or "public computer". It seems to make no difference here, it always makes me answer the question.

6. Perform the procedure above for the security question.

After you log off your site, and then come back, you'll probably have to do the procedure again...and again, until you have an LP entry for each question.

7. The last page (in my case) is the password page. If you've been paying attention you know what to do. (You did save your LP generated password before you deleted your previous entry for this site...correct? No? Then go to the LP WEBSITE (not the weblet) and use "show deleted sites" to retrieve it. (Don't ask how I know.)

I ended up with 5 separate entries in my LP vault, all with the same name. When I click the login button as in step 2, LP fills the first page, answers all three questions, if needed, and fills the password page.

I have had it choke on the answer part once, but all I had to do was enter the correct answer. That's one fail out of 10 attempts.

Please let me know if we can make changes to this for clarity, etc. Admins, please edit as needed if you are able.

P.S. I just did this for my bank site as well, and it works. The password page requires the user name as well, and it wasn't filled correctly when I was first setting up the entry. I had to close the page and attempt to sign on again, at which time I was able to properly fill in the user name on the password page.

I get the impression that these can be scripted all in one box using the add field command. Can someone point me to a tutorial on how to use the add field?
Gremlin

Postby Gremlin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Last night I tried to login to Optum, and it couldn't get past the questions, so it locked my account, which required a call to them this morning to reset my account. I suppose it needs more work.
During the reset process, I was required to redo my questions and answers. I reset them all to the same answer, so LP only needs one entry. I'll keep trying.
Gremlin

Return to Workarounds For Problematic Logins