Noob warning: I want to fill but not submit

A list of problematic websites and workarounds to make them work

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Noob warning: I want to fill but not submit

Postby jsam » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:40 am

I've been a Roboform user so my terminology comes from that background, apologies for the lexicon.

I have a site at work that uses RSA two factor authentication. The last field on the form is a four digit constant PIN followed by the RSA six digit "random" number - in the same field. I want the form filled but not submitted as those last six digits change every few seconds. I can find a way to not complete the form at all. I can find a way to complete the form and submt it. But I can't seem to find that halfway house. I've even read the manual. It's the only site, from hundreds, for which Roboform works and LP does not. It's also a modestly complicated form that, should I foul it up, locks me out. So completion would be really handy.

Any ideas?

Aggravatingly, my bank site wants a bank account number plus a password - and then asks for different characters from my password. This isn't dissimilar - I want the form filled and control handed to me. That works. I speculate that the difference is that in the working case LP can sense that there is more information required as more input fields are present. Whilst, in the failing case, it sees a field and fills it, not really knowing that I have to tack some stuff on the end of that field.
jsam

Re: Noob warning: I want to fill but not submit

Postby jsam » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:21 am

Bump. If it's just me I'm surprised, but it's not impossible. Anyway my Roboform works fine. I was just experimenting with living my life completely on the web... Maybe not...
jsam

Postby reliam » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Have you tried re-creating your entry... delete the site entry then go to the login page fill out the form and submit it you should be prompted to save that sites login information click "Save Site" then make sure "Auto-Login" is not checked also edit the field for your pin to only contain the static portion.
reliam

Postby Julian » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:29 am

I'm afraid this is my single biggest frustration with LastPass right now, it really doesn't handle the situations you mention at all well. With a disturbing number of my most used sites I end up having to put my cursor into the text entry box, right click to get the context menu, select the LastPass entry on the menu and then select the AutoFill sub-menu and then select the vault record that I want to use to fill in the field. I then have the field I want filled in but still have control to add extra stuff before hitting the submit/login button but it is far from convenient.

I've had a set of three related feature requests submitted to LastPass via the premium member feedback mechanism (for the benefit of LastPass, it is specifically suggestion JSL01 that I believe fixes this issue although JSL02 and JSL03 really form a triplet of suggestions that in particular addresses other issues related to jsam's "Aggravatingly, my bank site wants a bank account number plus a password - and then asks for different characters from my password." comment). Incidentally many of those sort of sites don't work at all for me so jsam seems to be having more success with LastPass than I am on those sort of sites.

- Julian
Julian

Postby jsam » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:27 pm

Thanks for the comments, folks. Yes, Reliam, I did indeed delete and restart a few times. I may check LastPass in a few months to see if it is any more sophisticated (and, I appreciate that, for free, there may be an upper limit!) In the meantime, Roboform does the job very well and I can't really complain about the price - less than a very average meal.
jsam

Postby reliam » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:48 pm

Are you sure your clicking "Auto-fill" not "Auto-Login" when prompted?... or are you clicking the link from within Lastpass if so I am pretty sure this forces "Auto-Login". Try visiting the site manually and have lastpass ask you if you want to "Auto-fill"...
reliam

Postby jsam » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:03 pm

It was a couple of weeks back when I did this, but I consulted my notes (yes, I make notes when fiddling with software, even at home!) and it would appear I did all that. I'm one of those, "how do I think that code is written?" types - and I just don't think LastPass can cope. If they're interested it's a simple enough scenario to test - and it's also a scenario most commercial organisations will recognise. They'll protect their systems with two factor authentication - and the field order I've mentioned is pretty standard. Anyway, I'll leave it for a bit. To keep myself protected I'll probably commit LastPass suicide - and then start again in a few months.
jsam

Postby reliam » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:20 pm

jsam Wrote:It was a couple of weeks back when I did this, but I consulted my notes (yes, I make notes when fiddling with software, even at home!) and it would appear I did all that.

I have yet to use Lastpass for any website using a complicated login but the ones I do use only submit the information after filling if I have the checkbox marked or if I use the Lastpass link which forces "Auto-Login" if I just visit the site it fills it out and doesn't submit or if I have multiple credentials it asks which would I like to use... I guess its acts differently for complicated forms though :\
reliam

Return to Workarounds For Problematic Logins