Problem logging into online broker site

A list of problematic websites and workarounds to make them work

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Problem logging into online broker site

Postby Julian » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:33 am

This site causes problems: https://secure.selftrade.co.uk/login/fs_login.jsp

I have the information saved in LastPass and it highlights both the "Account No" field and the field below the keypad. If I click login then I see the account number filled in and I see it briefly put something into the PIN number field (I see "*******" appear briefly in that box) but then something happens and the PIN number box goes blank and there is the message "!The following errors occurred: Field [submitaction] must be set!" appears at the bottom of my page. Is there maybe some sort of mode switch that needs to be set to tell the site that the PIN is being entered via the input text box rather than the keypad?

I have tried this login using both my usual bookmarklet interface and re-enabling the notifications so that I can use the FF extension directly to try and log in; I get the same behaviour both ways. If this is something that you can fix then please make sure the bookmarklet login interface also works because that is the one I care about most.

- Julian
Julian

Re: Problem logging into online broker site

Postby Julian » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:48 am

Any thoughts on this? I just tried the site again (via my bookmarklet) and I still get the behaviour reported above.

One other thought occurred to me. Could LastPass be mistakenly clicking the "Clear" button rather than the "Login" button to try and execute the login process? That would explain the symptoms I see.

- Julian
Julian

Postby JoeSiegrist » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:29 am

Your error is indicative of us trying to submit the form without using the button that they want you to use... Unfortunately it's very difficult for us to know which button to hit -- we have a way to specify with submit action we should take, I think we're going to have to expose it so you can override it...
JoeSiegrist

Postby Julian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:39 pm

JoeSiegrist Wrote:Your error is indicative of us trying to submit the form without using the button that they want you to use... Unfortunately it's very difficult for us to know which button to hit -- we have a way to specify with submit action we should take, I think we're going to have to expose it so you can override it...

Excellent (sort of). Thanks Joe. I was getting increasingly convinced that this was the probablem and exposing the submit action seems like a really good idea.

If it helps to boost your resolve, here is another site where this would be useful for a different reason: https://www.sippdeal.co.uk/secure/Login.aspx

You'll see here that there are two alternative login buttons, one to log into the full dealing (stock trading) page and the other to only log into the quick summary page to look at cash balances etc. Right now LastPass will always log into the full dealing site which isn't a catastrophe but is un-necessarily slow if one wants to just quickly check the account balance. If you exposed the functionality you are considering then presumably I could set up two LastPass entries for this site, both with the same ID/password, but one (the "Summary" one) that clicked one of the buttons and the other (the "Trading" one) that clicked the other button.

- Julian
Julian

Postby Julian » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:49 pm

JoeSiegrist Wrote:Your error is indicative of us trying to submit the form without using the button that they want you to use... Unfortunately it's very difficult for us to know which button to hit -- we have a way to specify with submit action we should take, I think we're going to have to expose it so you can override it...

On another thread in the Feature Request section (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12329) I put in a request for the ability to supress pressing any button for certain sites. It occured to me that if you exposed the functionality you talk about above in a flexible enough way then maybe this could also allow the user to specify no submit action at all on certain sites which would not only address the issue we are discussing here but also address my <supress auto submit> feature request all via the same single enhancement.

- Julian
Julian

Postby Julian » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:27 am

Here's another site that seems to have the same issue where LastPass fills in the ID field OK but then, I suspect, presses the wrong button and hence does a "cancel" rather than a "sign on". The site is https://online.northernrock.co.uk/SSO/displayView.do

- Julian
Julian

Return to Workarounds For Problematic Logins