Chrome extension not appearing on Windows 8

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Chrome extension not appearing on Windows 8

Postby CrzyDiamnd » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:12 pm

I've just upgraded to Chrome 23 on Windows 8, which gives the option of switching between desktop and Windows 8 mode. I have the LastPass desktop app installed, and the Chrome extension works fine running in desktop mode. However when I switch to Windows 8 mode the LastPass extension does not appear.

I have tried installing the LastPass Windows 8 app but that doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Is the Chrome extension expected to work in Windows 8 mode? I know IE10 doesn't support plugins but other extensions are working fine in Chrome Windows 8 mode.
CrzyDiamnd

Re: Chrome extension not appearing on Windows 8

Postby drew » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Can you uninstall the binary version, and see if the non-binary version works:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... egeplioahd

I have a feeling that's the problem, which is unfortunate.
drew

Postby CrzyDiamnd » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:56 pm

I've removed the LastPass extension (from desktop mode). When I try and install it again direct from the Chrome web store (via your link) I get a notification bar saying "Attempted to downgrade extension" and the installation fails (I had actually tried installing this before I uninstalled the desktop extension but got the same error).
CrzyDiamnd

Postby Nightlord » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 pm

I have exactly the same problem.

Had always worked fine with Lastpass (binary version and chrome extension). Last week I did an upgrade to Windows 8 and continued to use Chrome v22 in Metro with Lastpass (binary and chrome extension)

Today my Chrome did an upgrade to v23. All of the extensions continued to work except Lastpass which disapeared. I tried to go to Chrome store, try to install and get the message from Chrome:
"Attempted to downgrade extension"

Nothing more.

Thanks for your help
Nightlord

Postby drew » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:09 pm

The downgrade message makes a little sense, since the non-binary version has a lower version number... But after uninstalling, there's no reason it shouldn't let you reinstall a lower version. Sounds like a Chrome bug to me. Have you tried uninstalling, closing and restarting Chrome, then installing the non-binary?

You can also try downloading the non-binary version directly:

https://lastpass.com/lpchrome.crx

then opening the Chrome extensions tab and dragging it on to install.

If all else fails, you might have to uninstall and reinstall Chrome.
drew

Postby CrzyDiamnd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:43 am

I tried restarting Chrome between uninstalling and reinstalling LastPass but still no luck.

This morning I have uninstalled the LastPass desktop app/extension and uninstalled Chrome completely. I then reinstalled the latest version of Chrome and installed the LastPass extension directly from the Chrome web store and this has now worked successfully. The LastPass extension is now working in both desktop and Win 8 modes of Chrome.

Thanks for your help Drew.
CrzyDiamnd

Postby roelmen » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:38 am

Uninstalling Chrome and Lastpass didn't do the tric. But temporarily disabling my ad blocker did.
I use AdBlock. I disabled Adblock and after that I was able to install Lastpass in Chrome.
After installing Lastpass I enabled Adblock again and everything works fine for me now.

So check your extensions! Something might blocking installation of Lastpass.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!
roelmen

Postby roelmen » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:10 pm

In Windows 8 mode the icon doesn't appear; see http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/getting-started/windows-8/
In desktop mode Chrome will show the icon.

roelmen wrote:Uninstalling Chrome and Lastpass didn't do the tric. But temporarily disabling my ad blocker did.
I use AdBlock. I disabled Adblock and after that I was able to install Lastpass in Chrome.
After installing Lastpass I enabled Adblock again and everything works fine for me now.

So check your extensions! Something might blocking installation of Lastpass.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!
roelmen

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting