LastPass 2.0 incompatible with Firefox 17.0a1 Nightly

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

LastPass 2.0 incompatible with Firefox 17.0a1 Nightly

Postby AndrzejL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:58 am

Hi.

My Firefox just upgraded to version 17 and reported LastPass as incompatible.

Is there something I can do while waiting for upgrade? Edit a file in LastPass somewhere?

Regards,

Andrzej
AndrzejL

Re: LastPass 2.0 incompatible with Firefox 17.0a1 Nightly

Postby Lars » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:06 am

As LastPass doesn't support Beta versions of any browser, all you can do for now, is revert back to a stable release.
Lars

Postby AndrzejL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Lars wrote:As LastPass doesn't support Beta versions of any browser, all you can do for now, is revert back to a stable release.

Please tell me that You are kidding... I am a Mozilla tester... and great LastPass believer. I recommend it to all friends and family. Please tell me that this is NOT an official LastPass position on the matter... This would would be appalling...

Are You trying to tell me that I cannot use LastPass while testing the latest Mozilla products?

Regards.

Andrzej
AndrzejL

Postby Lars » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Explain to me how you would require LastPass (or any other developer for that matter) to fully support beta/nightly versions of, in this case, Firefox?
They have no idea what changes is being made to the beta/nightly as they are being distributed. They need to get a hold of it first and then see what changes needs to be made to LastPass, before any support can be guaranteed. In a lot of instances LastPass do run smoothly on beta/nightly, but unfortunately not in this case.

You can continue using a stable release of Firefox for production and run your Nightly for development.

Btw, how can this normal cycle of software development, be appalling??
Lars

Postby AndrzejL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Lars wrote:Explain to me how you would require LastPass (or any other developer for that matter) to fully support beta/nightly versions of, in this case, Firefox?
They have no idea what changes is being made to the beta/nightly as they are being distributed. They need to get a hold of it first and then see what changes needs to be made to LastPass, before any support can be guaranteed. In a lot of instances LastPass do run smoothly on beta/nightly, but unfortunately not in this case.

You can continue using a stable release of Firefox for production and run your Nightly for development.

Btw, how can this normal cycle of software development, be appalling??

Dude... I am betting my vital internal organs that the LastPass 2.0 would work just fine on the latest Firefox if only I could enable it... It's not a problem with add-on working or not working. It's not a problem at all. What I find weird is setting up Firefox =< 16 as a compatible one. I would be more then happy to go to a file X and modify value Y just so I can get the add-on enabled. Is there such file? It would work just fine more then likely.

All I am saying is that the 1.x version of the add-on was compatible for ages with all the latest versions of Firefox. Numeration changed to 2.x and it's a good thing but I would like to be able to test the latest versions of Firefox and in the same time test the performance of LastPass on it and report issues (on this forum more then likely) before anyone using stable version will run into them. This is not to much to ask is it? Probably 1 number in the code would need to be changed.

Please don't think of me as of some teenage troll. I am definitely not trying to poke anyone or yank anyone's chain. I am using LastPass for a very long time now and I think it's one of the best inventions since the sliced bread. I really believe that LastPass guys are a miracle workers and I have all my family and all my friends hooked up with LastPass accounts.

When I said that it would be appalling I meant the fact that someone changed the LastPass compatibility option from long term to short term. This could be a serious headache for me for a one simple reason - many people are depending on my support and if my sister won't be able to log into her Facebook (DUH!) account guess in which head she will start drilling holes. I bet You know what I mean. Now I will have to ssh to her machine and downgrade her version of Firefox... and that's one of many people that will call me today... ;)

Regards.

Andrzej
AndrzejL

Postby AndrzejL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:33 pm

HA! I am all sorted.

To solve this problem You need to disable extension compatibility check in Nightly / Aurora. To disable extension compatibility checking on trunk builds type in about:config in the address bar. Then click "I will be careful I promise" then -> right-click in page -> new -> boolean -> extensions.checkCompatibility.nightly -> false. For Aurora use extensions.checkCompatibility.aurora

LastPass is working just fine as always.

Thanks for Your help Lars. Good chat. No sarcasm implied.

Andrzej
AndrzejL

Postby XIII » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:35 pm

Out of curiosity: you seem to suggest that you are running that nightly Firefox build not only on your own machine, but also on your sister's. If so, why?
XIII

Postby AndrzejL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:55 pm

She is my lab rat... and she is happy about it. Since I moved her to Linux and she no longer gets infected every second day she does not mind me experimenting on her machine. If the browser works and she can do her stuff - she could not care less is it alpha beta or gamma. Works for me coz - I get more testing input. If something breaks I get a phone call and I am expected to know why and how to fix it ;).

Regards.

Andy
AndrzejL

Postby Lars » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:35 pm

AndrzejL wrote:To solve this problem You need to disable extension compatibility check in Nightly / Aurora. To disable extension compatibility checking on trunk builds type in about:config in the address bar. Then click "I will be careful I promise" then -> right-click in page -> new -> boolean -> extensions.checkCompatibility.nightly -> false. For Aurora use extensions.checkCompatibility.aurora

LastPass is working just fine as always.

So a change to your Firefox solved the problem.. Go figure.

AndrzejL wrote:Since I moved her to Linux and she no longer gets infected every second day she does not mind me experimenting on her machine.

I've used PC's since 1981 and Windows since version 3.1 (equals many years); and in all that time I have never had as much as a single virus on my machine. I don't understand what it is people do, to attract so many problems.. I guess common sense isn't that common after all.. or maybe it's just because I'm just very focused on security in general.
Lars

Postby AndrzejL » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:42 pm

Lars wrote:So a change to your Firefox solved the problem.. Go figure.

Indeed. Like I said - enabling add-on was what I needed. After add-on got enabled - it just started working as expected. I will keep my vital internal organs after all ;).

Lars wrote:I've used PC's since 1981 and Windows since version 3.1 (equals many years); and in all that time I have never had as much as a single virus on my machine. I don't understand what it is people do, to attract so many problems.. I guess common sense isn't that common after all.. or maybe it's just because I'm just very focused on security in general.

You lucky devil... ;) I know many folks that could write a book about "My PC got infected so many times this year it has spent more time in the service then at home with me." - You can offer them the best software there is to protect them but if they are going to disable it "coz this file from my e-mail wouldn't open and it said to disable antivirus..." then there is not much I can do... Also explanation "I wanted to download some pictures for my daughter and this picture xyz.jpg.exe is not opening... I am clicking on it and it just blinks and vanishes OH and yeah I disabled the antivirus coz it was annoying me with some messages about a infected file on one site. How can a picture be infected... But anyway the computer is acting up. Can You come over and have a look?". There is nothing more that You can do but to shrug and reinstall or restore from a created partition image and try to explain and educate...

I am security cautious myself. I am actually paranoid and was called &*(&*(&*( on many occasions by people who do not care much about security online and think that I am just stupid when improving security on my machines and trying to think of other ways to do so. How did I ended up using a 3rd party add-on to store my passwords? Two words. Steve Gibson ;)... If add-on is good enough for Steve it's good enough for me.

Have a great day.

Andy
AndrzejL

Next

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting