LP disappears in IE 9 except for administrator

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

LP disappears in IE 9 except for administrator

Postby aptmark » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:14 am

I just installed LP in Windows 7, 64 bit using IE 9. Starting IE 9 shows the LP toolbar and logo button, but just on the very first site. Switching to another site causes the icon to disappear forever, leaving an empty toolbar. If, on the first site where the icon is active, I click to open my vault, a page pops up then pops right out again, but I can make out that it says "an error occured no m_acccounts in CLPIE HomeCtrl" then I am directed to a page saying "Please enable LP add-on in IE 9." However, the LP add-ons are already enabled.

Importantly, LP seems to work fine (working on multiple sites) when I log on as an Administrator. The problem above only occurs when logged on as a standard user.
aptmark

Re: LP disappears in IE 9 except for administrator

Postby Schalkv » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:21 am

I am having similar problems under IE 9 ... I can see the popup window that tells me to :

Please Enable Your LastPass Internet Explorer Browser Plugin
STEP 1 : Enable The LastPass Toolbar
STEP 2 : Close and Restart Internet Explorer

I have done so ... but I cannot see the Toolbar after restart and every time I open LastPass it tells me again to "Please Enable Your LastPass Internet Explorer Browser Plugin" ..

really irritating ... I can use LP under Firefoy but under IE 9 it is now useless
Schalkv

Postby cwalexan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 am

+1

Appears to occur with both 32- and 64-bit versions of IE 9 under Windows 7.

While I do not have access to the "default" administrator account on my work laptop (appears to be an IT user), I was able to change the group of my own user account to Administrators group. After logging out and logging back in, LP still exhibited this problem in IE. Next, I tried installing it with my user account in Administrators group, but it made no difference: still can't use it in IE, problem as described in previous posts.

Fortunately no problems in Chrome, which I prefer, but still need IE for some specific sites...
cwalexan

Postby markwill » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:26 am

Same for me. Renders Lastpass completely unusable :(

Happens 100% of the time - as soon as I log on to Lastpass (the new version) the toolbar in IE 9 had no entries. I am a local admin on the machine. Windows 7 Pro.

Any workaround? I haven't looked into this yet but I assume I can downgrade somehow to a version before 2.0.

Thanks.

Mark
Last edited by markwill on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
markwill

Postby mcse_vna » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:28 am

Did the upgrade today, June 19 to version 2.0.0 and now having issues.

IE 9 group domain policy was set to NOT allow users to enable/disable add-ons. Tried disabling the policy but feel like LastPass 2.0 is not quite ready for prime time. Still having issues.

So policy was on when the upgrade happened. (I have local admin rights on my machine.) Tired uninstall and reinstall - still not working so there is something still not right under IE9/LastPass2.0.

Only work around is to open LastPass vault directly in a seperate web page, then copy your username and password as necessary for each site.
mcse_vna

Postby markwill » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:40 am

Anyone know how I can downgrade? I only see 2.0 on the Downloads section on the Lastpass site.

Frustrating.

Mark
markwill

Postby aptmark » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:51 pm

:D One of the replies led me to a fix for my original post. I'm a new user and did not realize I installed on the first day of version 2.0. Yes, you can reinstall an older version and wait for a fix for this disappearing toolbar/icon problem. On lastpass.com click "download" - at the bottom of the downloadpage there is a link for old releases. I uninstalled LP and reinstalled the immediately preceding release - problem solved!
aptmark

Postby WetLook » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:15 pm

I am also having this same problem using Win7 Pro 64 bit and IE9.

I also noticed that if you log onto the LastPass web site, go to “Edit Settings” and under “General” tab and increase the Password Iterations (PBKDF2) to 500 (500 recommended) your password is no longer recognized in the IE toolbar. You have to log onto the lastpass.com vault and change the Password Iterations back to 1, then your password is recognized again.
WetLook

Postby cwalexan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:07 am

Interesting... I had to re-boot this morning, and our company login process fires up IE - usually 64-bit, but for some reason this morning it started 32-bit IE. Anyway, with 32-bit IE 9 started, I noticed that LP was apparently working. I could access the my vault, no matter how many tabs I had open - no page displayed about needed to enable LP toolbar, etc.

But I then checked 64-bit IE 9, and found that it is still exhibiting the same problem...
cwalexan

Postby Amber » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks for the reports, everyone. For anyone still seeing this, please try our newest build: https://lastpass.com/lastpass_x64.exe (or https://lastpass.com/lastpass.exe for 32bit machines) and let us know if any problems persist.
Amber

Next

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting