Does the Android Mobile App work like LastPass on the PC?

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Does the Android Mobile App work like LastPass on the PC?

Postby mliu » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:41 pm

After using LastPass on my PC for many months, I finally decided to spring for the premium membership so I could use LastPass on my Android phone. Seriously underwhelmed and thinking the premium membership was a mistake. Besides the absence of help in the unintuitive app and the lousy (and outdated) user guide on the web site, I can't seem to get the mobile app to function in the same way as LastPass on my PC (which was the whole reason for buying the premium membership).

Questions (assuming that LastPass app is already signed-in):
1. Does LastPass for Android automatically capture login information from the Android browser?
2. Does LastPass for Android automatically present user credentials to a web site's login page in the Android browser?

If it can do either of these two things, I have yet to find out how to make it work. So far, the only way I can get LastPass to automatically log me in is to first open the LastPass app, then click on one of the saved links. This is slow and cumbersome. The other problem is that usernames are not displayed in the list of sites, so if there is more than one log-in for a particular site, you have to guess as to which link will log you into the desired account.
mliu

Re: Does the Android Mobile App work like LastPass on the PC

Postby mliu » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:56 pm

Ok, after spending too much time trying various settings in the LastPass app, I discovered that there appears to be a browser built into LastPass that offers the functions I'm seeking (i.e., autofill for logins and capturing of new login credentials). It's unfortunate that this app is so poorly documented that users have to experiment with it to learn how to use even its most basic functions. So from what I can tell, if I want to have the login autofill and capture features, I must abandon the standard Android browser and use the LastPass browser instead. Is that correct?

So now how do i set the LastPass browser to be my default browser and how do I place an icon (or launch widget) for the LastPass browser onto my phone's app list screen. I don't want to have to launch the LastPass app everytime I wish to use the LastPass web browser. Ideally, I should be able to tap a browser icon on my phone's home page and have it automatically launch the LastPass browser. If I am not logged into LastPass, then when I launch the browser, it should prompt me to log in first (and then keep me logged in for a user-selected period of time). If I am already logged into LastPass, then when I launch the browser, it should present the PIN screen (if enabled in preferences) and then allow me to browse at will, auto-filling logins and capturing logins as on the PC version of LastPass.

If there is a way to do this, I would appreciate it if someone can explain how.

Also, it appears that the LastPass browser is not an extention of the standard Android browser: there does not appear to be a way to launch multiple windows, set and/or retrieve bookmarks (which is surprising considering LastPass's affiliation with Xmarks), or perform other basic functions (find on page, retrieve page info, etc.). I can't even find a way to manage the cache, history, and cookies in the LastPass browser. Am I missing something, or is the LastPass browser as it appears: very bare-bones? If the latter, is there a more full-featured browser I can use that will allow full integration of LastPass (login autofilling and capturing)?
mliu

Postby mliu » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:46 pm

For those following this thread, I received a reply from LastPass support regarding my questions:

Yes, that is correct regarding the built in Android app.

Here's how to make it your default browser: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... yd_Jppg8nA .

There is not a way to launch multiple windows or add bookmarks. Did you see our documentation at http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/upgrading- ... r-android/ . Under the menu button, more, there should be plenty of options listed there. For a full feature browser, though, I'd suggest you look into using Dolphin HD and our add on extension: http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/upgrading- ... olphin-hd/

Let me know if that helps.

Best,
Alex

So to summarize, there seem to be three choices:

1. Use the stand-alone LastPass app for Android in conjuction with the Android standard browser. If you chose this option, you lose the ability to autofill logins from within the browser and you have no way of automatically capturing logins.

2. Use the stand-alone LastPass app for Android in conjuction with LastPass browser (which is included in the LastPass for Android app). If you chose this option, you gain the ability to autofill logins from within the browser and you can automatically capturing logins. The trade-off is that you will be using a very bare-bones browser that doesn't even offer any of the simple features found in the standard Android browser.

3. Install the Dolphin HD browser for Android and the "LastPass for Dolphin HD" app; the stand-alone LastPass app is not needed for use with the Dolphin HD browser. This gives you a full-featured browser with integrated LastPass autofill function. However there does not appear to be auto-capturing of new login credentials, which is very disappointing.
mliu

Postby ceo3h » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:54 am

To cut short the story just visit Android spyware you may find all answers
ceo3h

Postby selpeep » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks for doing this research, Alex. Saved me a lot of looking around for the answers to the issues I am also having with the mobile version(s) I'm very happy with Lastpass on the PC but it looks like the mobile version needs some work. I will use it as-is for my new android phone but I'm hoping for upgrades soon. ...Bill
selpeep

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting