Local Storage of Encrypted Data

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Local Storage of Encrypted Data

Postby steeldestroyer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:19 pm

I've been doing a lot of reading about LastPass and how it operates before I take the plunge and try it out. I have just a couple more questions, the first of which I'll ask in this thread:

If a user of LastPass accesses the LastPass service at LassPass.com from a computer, the encrypted password set is downloaded to the computer they are using, and then decrypted on that local machine. Does this mean if a user accesses LastPass.com on a public computer (or any other machine, like a friend or family member's) the encrypted data is left behind on the machine when the user closes the browser and leaves? Where is this encrypted data stored?

Thanks!
steeldestroyer

Re: Local Storage of Encrypted Data

Postby JoeSiegrist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:45 pm

If you're using the plugin, then yes your data is downloaded on that PC, you can clear it before you logoff by going to Tools -> Clear Cache (which would be a good practice at any public/friend's computer).

It's stored in the Firefox Profile or %APPDATA%\LocalLow\LastPass
JoeSiegrist

Postby steeldestroyer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:53 pm

Thanks for the response!

If one isn't using the plugin, is the encrypted data stored elsewhere?
steeldestroyer

Postby JoeSiegrist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:55 pm

steeldestroyer Wrote:Thanks for the response!

If one isn't using the plugin, is the encrypted data stored elsewhere?

No -- it's only in memory while you're on the page. If you're using the bookmarklet you need to either set your bookmarklet timeout, or logoff there because a random key is embedded in the bookmarklet when combined with an active session that creates your encryption key.
JoeSiegrist

Postby steeldestroyer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:20 pm

To summarize:

There are three ways to access LastPass data:
[*]LastPass.com - no data is stored on local machine. Logging out of LastPass.com and closing browser window eliminates remaining data.
[*]Bookmarklet - data is stored in bookmarklet. Logging out of LastPass.com and closing browser window eliminates remaining data.
[*]Plugin - data is stored in browser cache, removed by clearing cache.

Is this summary correct? Are there any other ways to access LastPass encrypted data that I'm missing?

Thanks for your help!
steeldestroyer

Postby JoeSiegrist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:29 pm

steeldestroyer Wrote:Is this summary correct? Are there any other ways to access LastPass encrypted data that I'm missing?

Close -- for the plugin, data isn't stored in the browser cache, it's in a LastPass storage area that must be cleaned by hitting 'clear cache' inside LastPass -> Tools.

m.lastpass.com works the same way as the website does for your phone (close and gone), blackberry application and iphone application (not yet released) store on the device.
JoeSiegrist

Postby steeldestroyer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks for the help!

It may be good to describe this information on LastPass.com in a summarized form. I know it has been helpful for me to know exactly what I need to do in different uses of LastPass to keep my data secure.
steeldestroyer

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting