Where does LastPass store my information locally?

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Where does LastPass store my information locally?

Postby renegm » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:37 am

I use LastPass extensionally. In the notes I keep the password of compressed files, TrueCrypt units, and also the passwords of services of my local network.

Occasionally I lose the Internet connection. I need to gain access to my LastPass information and need a local copy to see with Pocket.

IE keeps a encripted copy of my information in a file with extension sxml in the folder:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\LastPass.

But I do not know where other browsers keep his copy (I am interested in especially Firefox)

Questions:

1) Do the pluggin of Firefox and Chrome keep a local copy of my information of Last Pass?
2) Where do they keep it?
3) Is it possible to open this files with Pocket?

Thank you very much
renegm

Re: Where does LastPass store my information locally?

Postby Lars » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:00 pm

Where is the local copy of my data stored? Can I back it up?
  • Windows Internet Explorer, Firefox: %AppData%\..\LocalLow\LastPass\ or %AppData%\..\Local Settings\Application Data\LastPass\
  • Windows Google Chrome: %AppData%\..\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\databases\chrome-extension_hdokiejnpimakedhajhdlcegeplioahd_0\
  • Windows Safari: %AppData%\..\Local\Apple Computer\Safari\Databases\safari-extension_com.lastpass.lpsafariextension-n24rep3bmn_0\
  • OS X Safari, Firefox: ~/Library/Application Support/LastPass/
  • OS X Firefox (non-binary): Firefox profile directory
  • OS X Google Chrome: ~/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/databases/chrome-extension_hdokiejnpimakedhajhdlcegeplioahd_0/

• Linux Firefox: ~/.lastpass/
  • Linux Google Chrome: ~/.config/google-chrome/Default/databases/chrome-extension_hdokiejnpimakedhajhdlcegeplioahd_0/
  • Firefox on other platforms utilizes the Firefox profile directory.

You can back these directories up and they will contain the latest copy of your data. Be aware that on Windows, Protected Storage is used to additionally encrypt your data so you'll need to ensure that your Windows profile is also backed up. Your data is also backed up at LastPass.com, and a copy is on any other device or computer you use so this isn't required
Lars

Re: Where does LastPass store my information locally?

Postby renegm » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Right!
I had already found these folders and files
In
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\LastPass
IE makes a file:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx_lpsx.sxml

And Firefox similarly, makes same pre-name in Capitals
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX_ICONS3.LPS

Chrome in
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\databases\chrome-extension_hdokiejnpimakedhajhdlcegeplioahd_0
makes a file named 1. Only this number, without extension.

I looked in the feasible folders and these files turned out to be suitable candidates
But...
Pocket can only open file which have been generated by Internet Explorer

My work flow is more less like that
If for any reason I am disconnected from Internet and need some LastPass data.
I go to my copied data and open it with Pocket
If it is an old information, it is there.
If it is not, I copy the file sxml of the IE and open it with Pocket.
If it does not appear, I am fucked.

I am not usually in LastPass with the IE. Neither Chrome. I usually use Firefox. If I add or change a data it will not be in the file sxml of the IE that is the only one that I can open with Pocket.

When I had this mishap, I cursed myself and went forward. It is not a constant need.
But... Recently, I really needed urgent data from previous day, but it was not accessible anywhere.

Theoretically, my information was in some file generated by Firefox but I could not gain access to this data.
Perhaps in this file XXX... XXX_ICONS3. LPS that Pocket pushes back. Perhaps distributed between several files...
I don't know.
Is there anyway to read those firefox files offline?
Thanks!
renegm

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting