Import/Export Lastpass Encrypted File in Firefox

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Import/Export Lastpass Encrypted File in Firefox

Postby abhijeetsingh07 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:17 pm

I thought to keep up a backup of my LastPass so thought of taking out a backup. In Chrome, taking out backup doesn't work. So, installed LastPass on Firefox 3.6.8 and went to Tools>Export to> LastPass Encrypted File and got a XML File. Now, in future if I want to restore this whole XML file, what should I have to do? Or in worst scenario if my LastPass account gets hacked and I import this XML file into some other newly created account, is this possible?

Or is there any other encrypted way to keep the backup?
abhijeetsingh07

Re: Import/Export Lastpass Encrypted File in Firefox

Postby Lars » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:57 pm

You can always export a non-encrypted backup to a TrueCrypt folder.. :mrgreen:
Lars

Postby JoeSiegrist » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:44 pm

If you maintain normal backups you're in great shape: the extensions in IE/Firefox/Safari/Chrome on every platform can read the encrypted offline backup file -- you can simply restore that file if necessary. The need for this is quite low as we have 30 days of undelete for deleted sites, username and password history (so you can see old usernames/passwords), and you have copies of your data, encrypted, in quite a few places: On LastPass servers, on every PC and mobile device you use, LastPass has a 1 day delayed backup server, and keeps it's own backups.
JoeSiegrist

Postby abhijeetsingh07 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:52 am

Lars Wrote:You can always export a non-encrypted backup to a TrueCrypt folder.. :mrgreen:

Nice Idea, but who will remember the password of Truecrypt file :D i save those passwords here :P

JoeSiegrist Wrote:If you maintain normal backups you're in great shape: the extensions in IE/Firefox/Safari/Chrome on every platform can read the encrypted offline backup file -- you can simply restore that file if necessary. The need for this is quite low as we have 30 days of undelete for deleted sites, username and password history (so you can see old usernames/passwords), and you have copies of your data, encrypted, in quite a few places: On LastPass servers, on every PC and mobile device you use, LastPass has a 1 day delayed backup server, and keeps it's own backups.

Joe I didn't got u...... u meant if in case I accidentally delete the ID and password. But I mean if somebody get password to my lastpass account itself from my PC using keyloggers or anything... and I should have whole backup of passwords and that too in an encrypted file. Cause after lastpass I really don't remember my passwords. I just want to know how to restore that file?
abhijeetsingh07

Postby hiccups » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:32 am

I got the same problem. Why should i be able to EXPORT an encrypted file without having the ability to import it back?
hiccups

Postby Rivermonster » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:53 am

JoeSiegrist Wrote:If you maintain normal backups you're in great shape: the extensions in IE/Firefox/Safari/Chrome on every platform can read the encrypted offline backup file -- you can simply restore that file if necessary...

Hi Joe,

Can you please give the steps for importing an encrypted LastPass xml file? I thought this would be done via Tools > Import From > Lastpass > Import. However, the "Select a file to import" window only shows CSV files and you cannot change the file type in the drop-down list.

Thanks,

Adrian
Rivermonster

Postby kondado » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:29 am

I can't believe there has been no answer to this question after nearly TWO years??? What's up with the LastPass team??

It's now nearly 2013 and I have the SAME question. What sense does it make to EXPORT a Lastpass encrypted file without the ability to IMPORT it back??
kondado

Postby snelleedje » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:04 pm

I also exported to a Lastpass encrypted file and assumed I could import it as well. It could never work, but it did give some kind of "safe" feeling. Ignorance is bliss. Strange kind of functionality tho.
Did they just forget to make an import option, or did they forget to remove this non-importable export option?
snelleedje

Postby rej » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:46 pm

http://helpdesk.lastpass.com/tools/exporting/ contains the following:

“3. One final option is to export to a 'LastPass Encrypted File'. You can then import this data into LastPass Pocket to view your data. This file can be saved locally or on a USB Drive with the Pocket executable.
Check your browser's 'Export To' submenu in the Tools menu to see available options.”
Bold is mine. Any help?
rej

Postby snelleedje » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:31 pm

Ah, great, thank you.
Just imported my encrypted backup in Pocket and it worked instantly.
So "they" did not forget anything, i was "me" who had to rtfm.
Thanks again.
snelleedje

Next

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting