Locked out of account.

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Locked out of account.

Postby newuser47823 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:26 pm

I am a new LastPass user. I made an account a few days ago. After I did, I first put in my information for my email address and updated its password. I then went through and updated numerous account passwords which relied on that email address. The experience was pleasant.

I then restarted my PC for some Windows 10 updates. When I tried to log into my email, I found that the new password had not been saved (though I could still use LastPass to log into numerous other accounts). That email is now entirely inaccessible to me but I am willing to accept that it is mostly my fault.

Fortunately, at this time, I was still able to log in and view my LastPass vault. The first thing I tried to do was change my email address. For whatever strange reason, I could not change my email address. I was able to send the new email address "test" emails, but I was unable to send it any verification emails for updating my account password - I figure they must've gone to the email address which I no longer have access to. I did manage to add my phone number for 2-factor authentication, though.

I next tried to contact support. The form asked for my account email, so in my detailed request yesterday I asked that they please contact my new email in response. I haven't heard from them yet via that email. I went through and updated the email for a few accounts before I became busy with other things.

I updated my PC again with another Windows 10 update. Just now, when I went to log in to my LastPass account through the extension, I was told that the extension does not recognize my device and so I should click on a verification email sent to my old, inaccessible email address. Obviously I cannot do that. I then tried the account recovery process and successfully entered a verification code sent to my phone. However, the browser had not saved a OTP that it apparently stores when you first log in, so that did not end up working for me. (My browser clears its cache and other data when it closes. Had I been aware that that would be problematic, I would've made an exception to save LastPass data.)

I am now desperate for help and in urgent need of support. I created this account using my new email to post on this forum and hopefully get the attention of somebody who can help me. I have ended up locked out of numerous important personal accounts and going through a recovery process with them that does not involve accessing my old email will be difficult if it's even possible. Please, LastPass support, contact me by this account's address regarding this matter.
newuser47823

Re: Locked out of account.

Postby jpenny84 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:29 pm

Have to tried using your email provider's forgotten password process?
jpenny84

Postby newuser47823 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:08 pm

Yes. There are two passwords for my email account: one to login, and one to decrypt the emails. The password that I erroneously thought I had saved through LastPass was the mailbox encryption one, so at the very least I've lost access to my history of emails on that account. I reached out to them to see if I could still at least login despite not knowing the mailbox password. I haven't heard back from them yet.

However, at this stage, it's likely all moot because I can't access my email with the login passwords anyways; that is stored in LastPass, which I recently lost access to.
newuser47823

Postby newuser47823 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:50 pm

I want to again emphasize the urgency of this matter. To summarize, here is my circumstance:

I know the email address and password for the LastPass account I cannot access. I also know the phone number on file and can successfully receive verification codes. I am even accessing LastPass from the same computer, even though it does not recognize the device.

I do not have access to the account email. I had issues changing the account email when I was still able to log in. It was not clear to me that LastPass would:
1) Disallow me to change my account's email address unless I verified the change through my old email address (which I lost access to).
2) Fail to recognize the computer I was using after a Windows 10 update.
3) Store a OTP for the recovery process that would be cleared when my browser closed (since I have it set to clear cache/cookies/history/etc. on closure).

Hindsight is 20/20, but I was also unaware that using a password manager to also manage the credentials for the email address you used to sign up for it is a terrible idea, given that you may lose access to your email when you lose access to your password manager.

If I had been aware of any of these things ahead of time, I could've configured my account accordingly to prevent something disastrous (like this) from happening.

LastPass support: Please reach out to me. I am apparently a premium member (though through a trial). I have all of the information listed above and can even verify my activity on the account with some degree of accuracy. I believe I can even list the accounts I saved on there. I am willing to cooperate quickly and cordially if you would only reach out to me so that I may deal with this.
newuser47823

Postby rjm » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:30 pm

I think you need to lodge a support ticket. Have you done this? It doesn't sound like it?
rjm

Postby newuser47823 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:00 pm

rjm Wrote:I think you need to lodge a support ticket. Have you done this? It doesn't sound like it?

From my original post:
newuser47823 Wrote:I next tried to contact support. The form asked for my account email, so in my detailed request yesterday I asked that they please contact my new email in response. I haven't heard from them yet via that email. I went through and updated the email for a few accounts before I became busy with other things.

If that constitutes lodging a support ticket, then I have done so. If not, could you please direct me to where I may lodge a support ticket?

To be clear, I visited https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass, searched "Account Recovery" (or something of that nature), clicked "Contact Support" at the bottom and then filled out the form.
newuser47823

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting