Random High CPU Usage in Edge Chromium

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Random High CPU Usage in Edge Chromium

Postby ITeeWeenie729 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi there,

Just wanted to offer a workaround for users experiencing high cpu usage in idle Edge (Chromium) browsers.

I've been using LastPass for years, and I am familiar with the fact that it can be quite buggy at times, but It's value to me still far outweighs it's pain.

In January of 2020, I switched from using Firefox for Windows to Google's Chrome for my primary browser, mainly due to performance issues with Firefox in general. Shortly thereafter, I ran into my first high-cpu usage event in Chrome where it would consume 50% of the CPU just sitting idle (and with no other apps running.) After first blaming Chrome and researching-the-crap-out-of-it yet not being able to find a solution, I finally was able to determine that it was the LastPass extension being the source of the problem. Again, loads of research and trial and error, but no joy. I then removed the extension and voila! - problem solved!? Why didn't I do this earlier? - because in my mind, installing/reinstalling the extension in Firefox was hard and ugly (whether it was in reality or not) and I just assumed it would be ugly in Chrome. Anyhow, I then reinstalled the extension (which was very simple and quick) and the problem did not reappear. Yay!

Thinking that this might have been a one-off deal, I went on my merry way, for about a month. In the meanwhile, I had switched to Microsoft's Edge (Chromium) browser as my primary browser, and then bam! High CPU Usage again (from LastPass) combined with non-operational LastPass extension. Again, research, frustration, no-solution. I then removed and reinstalled the extension. Yay! Problem(s) solved again.

Since then, I have come up against either the high-cpu usage problem or non-operational extension (button does nothing, no menus, LP doesn't fill forms) about once a month - and each and every time I've solved the issues by simply removing the extension, reinstalling the extension and then logging back in - all of which takes less than one minute of my time. Now, don't get me wrong - this is clearly an issue that I would like for the developers to resolve, but for me at least, I have learned to live with the problems as this workaround is simple and quick. I don't even think about it, or frustrate myself any more - I just remove, reinstall, and continue with life. Hopefully this is of some use to those banging their heads in frustration over LastPass and its random problems.

Cheers,

BK
ITeeWeenie729

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting