Authenticator in place of Google Authenticator

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Authenticator in place of Google Authenticator

Postby counselwell » Sun May 17, 2020 4:56 am

I've been searching the site and the internet, and I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere to the question, "If the LastPass authenticator is supposed to be the only one you'll ever need, then how do you set it up so that it replaces Google Authenticator for any and all sites that assume only Google Authenticator as the one you are to use?"
counselwell

Re: Authenticator in place of Google Authenticator

Postby Eljom » Mon May 18, 2020 3:28 am

Great question, I like to know that too!
Eljom

Postby martin28 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:16 pm

I think they only say that it needs to be a Google Authenticator. Google once asked me to set up Google Authenticator for a Gmail account, and I instead set up Microsoft Authenticator, and the automated response was something like, "You have successfully set up 2FA with Google Authenticator." So I think they're often interchangeable, but the companies that make them don't always like to admit the fact.
martin28

Postby counselwell » Wed May 20, 2020 6:48 am

What I need to know is how to use the LP authenticator when a site assumes Google, assuming this is possible.
counselwell

Postby ronaldbernier865 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:28 am

counselwell Wrote:What I need to know is how to use the LP authenticator when a site assumes Google, assuming this is possible.

You use the Lastpass Authenticator exactly as you would the Google Authenticator. I.E. scan the "bar code" with Lastpass Authenticator and it will work. As mentioned by another poster - you can use any authenticator regardless of which authenticator the site suggests.
ronaldbernier865

Postby jh30uk » Fri May 22, 2020 10:43 pm

As above, I simply scan it once with LP then a second time with Googles in case I ever need it as a backup if LP is down.

You can then make LP's the 1st choice in your LP account setting and Google's 2nd.

Bonus is LP's works with fingerprint and you can backup/restore it if you have a failure of phone etc.
jh30uk

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting