Mac app abandoned ?

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: Mac app abandoned ?

Postby R007 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:20 pm

I thought it was a phishing email as well, particularly given that the from address was "m.lastpass.com" rather than lastpass.com and the hyperlink connecting to an unknown logmein url rather than the url listed. Additionally, I could not find any information on your website about the change, which made me even more suspicious. An additional suspicious factor is that I have the most recent version of the app listed on the website.

This is a phishing email to me unless proven otherwise, and it makes me wonder if even the explanatory response on this forum is legit. If this is real, Lastpass needs to put this announcement and details about the change up on the lastpass.com website! And if it is a real change, they need to do a much better job of announcing it.
R007

Postby discontentmacappuser » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:59 am

I've downloaded the one via the website, but this one is way buggier than the old App Store app for LastPass.

Problems:
1) When I pull up the site search to grab a password, and then click on copy password, the window doesn't close. I have to click outside for it to be dismissed. And then even worse, sometimes it's laggy and unresponsive, and it won't copy the password. This is stupid.
2) I'm running into problems saving details. It just keeps spinning and tells me that something's taking longer than expected.
discontentmacappuser

Postby johnjacobjingleheimerschmidt » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:53 am

LS94121 Wrote:I, as many others have, received the email about the new way of downloading LastPass Mac or for IOS as of the end of February. The problem is that the email was not at all clear. I even thought that it might be a phishing attempt and I made sure that I didn't click on any links.
. Same.. I thought phishing, for sure.

As far as I'm concerned, pulling out of the App Store removes a second set of eyes from the code. In light of Avast, among others, pulling this shady behavior.. I'm done. I've been a premium subscriber for years, and have overpaid since I never swapped six accounts to a bundled family account. Now I just need to decide between one of the other capable managers. I'd go with iCloud Keychain, but the lack of family sharing is a show stopper. I'll likely head to 1Password as it seems simple enough for the parents.
johnjacobjingleheimerschmidt

Postby jpenny84 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:21 am

R007 Wrote:I thought it was a phishing email as well, particularly given that the from address was "m.lastpass.com" rather than lastpass.com and the hyperlink connecting to an unknown logmein url rather than the url listed. Additionally, I could not find any information on your website about the change, which made me even more suspicious. An additional suspicious factor is that I have the most recent version of the app listed on the website.

This is a phishing email to me unless proven otherwise, and it makes me wonder if even the explanatory response on this forum is legit. If this is real, Lastpass needs to put this announcement and details about the change up on the lastpass.com website! And if it is a real change, they need to do a much better job of announcing it.

An email from a LastPass subdomain is a phishing attempt? Okay, whatever. If you're actually concerned, then file a support ticket and ask them. However, LastPass' ticketing system is hosted on LogMeIn's support portal, so you probably won't like that either.

https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass ... s-lp010121
jpenny84

Postby godzila » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:13 am

Ok I am still a bit confused here, despite your second mail today..-

Am I to understands that the standalone Mac app will continue to exist and be maintained but will not be anymore available through the AppStore ?

And if so why is that (no big deal for me but I find the whole thing peculiar) ?
godzila

Postby Eslam » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:12 am

discontentmacappuser Wrote:I've downloaded the one via the website, but this one is way buggier than the old App Store app for LastPass.

Problems:
1) When I pull up the site search to grab a password, and then click on copy password, the window doesn't close. I have to click outside for it to be dismissed. And then even worse, sometimes it's laggy and unresponsive, and it won't copy the password. This is stupid.
2) I'm running into problems saving details. It just keeps spinning and tells me that something's taking longer than expected.

Same here, the copy username/password shortcuts don't work anymore! I found a way to use the arrows to select copy username/password, but the issue is that I have to press enter so many times to make sure it copies which is weird!
Also the fact that the quick search doesn't close after copying is annoying!
The app response is very laggy
To summarize this is a buggy app that doesn't add any value compared to the old one! instead it takes a lot from the old UX we used to!
Eslam

Postby godzila » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:40 am

To summarize this is a buggy app that doesn't add any value compared to the old one! instead it takes a lot from the old UX we used to!

Couild it be the reason it was pulled from the appstore (poor coding) ?
godzila

Postby tobnil » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:43 am

ignostic Wrote:Dropping the quick search in macOS really sucks.
Open browser > Click extension > Search > Copy.. thats too many steps when you need a password for something other then a website

The only reason I use the app from Mac App Store is because of quick search. It's so convenient to use when you need a password for ssh or other applications.
Please add this shortcut so I can update.
tobnil

new LastPass Mac Safari web store app - offline mode?

Postby libove » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:23 am

Per: https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/29/2111 ... ion-update
LastPass is discontinuing the current full Mac application, in favor of a Safari web store web app.
Will the new app still work offline?
libove

Postby godzila » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:11 am

Is there anyone from LP here willing to clarify ??
godzila

PreviousNext

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting