Can't update chrome extension

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: Can't update chrome extension

Postby MikZ » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:44 am

It's disappointing that LastPass never thought to test their update code for entries with non-Latin1 characters. :( It's actually disappointing that, in the 21st century, they're using Latin1 encoding at all! I'd say it's Eurocentric of them, but in these days of Emoji, even that's not an excuse—it's just plain bad software engineering! Perhaps this is why XMarks syncing stopped working properly for me a very long time ago, too. :roll:

Anyhow, thanks, @synapse913, for the tip, but I think I might start looking at other password managers. If LastPass is so incompetent to leave bugs like this in their software, many months after they were first reported, how can we trust them not them to be equally careless with their security code? :|
MikZ

Postby jpenny84 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:43 pm

MikZ Wrote:It's Perhaps this is why XMarks syncing stopped working properly for me a very long time ago, too. :roll:

XMarks likely quit working for you because the service was shut down over a year ago.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=297065
jpenny84

Postby MikZ » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:43 pm

jpenny84 Wrote:XMarks likely quit working for you because the service was shut down over a year ago.

Nope. I started using XMarks about 12 years ago, and it worked great until about 5 years ago. Since then, I twice tried blowing away all my bookmarks and entering them all over again, but the sync algorithm was just plain broken for me, as it was for a buncho' other users who never got help—it's been years since I bothered trying. Anyhow, since the names of bookmarks can contain any characters at all, and page titles are set by sites, not users, I do expect bookmarks with any characters to work, not just Latin1 characters. But Silicon Valley is terrible at testing i18n*, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was the problem all along.
__
* Believe me, I know, I consult there, and as a user, it's shocking to see how many well-known apps force anachronistic units and that confusing US date format.
MikZ

Postby simonmarkknight556 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:12 pm

eddiesmo Wrote:Hi everyone, I managed to fix it on my account!

First, I noticed that I have secure notes that have duplicated many times. I deleted those notes, and noticed that they can never be completely erased - they keep coming back.
Then, I realized these notes are all "form fills", so I deleted them there.

Voilla, problem solved.

In other words:
1. Go to you vault.
2. Go to "Form fills" on the left.
3. Delete everything.
4. Try now

Hope it helps others!

Thank you so much!! It worked.
simonmarkknight556

Postby mishobehar » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:55 am

Its strange that no one from Lastpass replied.. That potentially puts us in a security risk if there are exploits for the older version of the extension. When you go to edit a "Form Fill" it asks you what language it is. You can choose Russian (mine is Bulgarian but characters are simillar) so I don't know how they can combine Latin1 encoding with russian characters. I cannot delete my form fills because It will be a lot of hassle to enter them again and again after every update. Shame that no one thought about UTF-8 encoding. Seems like the architect was "crafty" like a famous Bulgarian literature character Andreshko who is always "witty" but in the wrong way :) If anyone is Bulgarian, he can relate :D

Anyways, I hope this is fixed.

I tried reinstalling/uninstalling and it does not work at all. Also tried deleting the Firefox profile folder (so its a fresh fresh new install) - same. Also the non-latin (cyrillic) form fills gets duplicated into secure notes, but only the ones who are not latin. Very, very strange!
mishobehar

Postby ludo512 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:50 am

Deleting forms fills solved problem for me too, thanx!
ludo512

Postby jpenny84 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:56 am

mishobehar Wrote:Its strange that no one from Lastpass replied.. That potentially puts us in a security risk if there are exploits for the older version of the extension. When you go to edit a "Form Fill" it asks you what language it is. You can choose Russian (mine is Bulgarian but characters are simillar) so I don't know how they can combine Latin1 encoding with russian characters. I cannot delete my form fills because It will be a lot of hassle to enter them again and again after every update. Shame that no one thought about UTF-8 encoding. Seems like the architect was "crafty" like a famous Bulgarian literature character Andreshko who is always "witty" but in the wrong way :) If anyone is Bulgarian, he can relate :D

Anyways, I hope this is fixed.

I tried reinstalling/uninstalling and it does not work at all. Also tried deleting the Firefox profile folder (so its a fresh fresh new install) - same. Also the non-latin (cyrillic) form fills gets duplicated into secure notes, but only the ones who are not latin. Very, very strange!

This is an interface refresh, and has nothing to do with the extension version. Everyone is receiving updates through the Chrome extension store regardless of which interface they are on.

Contact support if you are unable to successfully clear the update message: https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass ... s-lp010121
jpenny84

Postby Serbul1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:34 pm

In my case it was non-ASCII / non-latin Secure Notes too
the only difference I didn't delete all the notes, but only the duplicated (using Search in the Vault).
Serbul1

Postby maxnovikoff » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:43 am

LastPass updating lasts forever :?
maxnovikoff

Postby mcmind564 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:15 pm

eddiesmo Wrote:Hi everyone, I managed to fix it on my account!

First, I noticed that I have secure notes that have duplicated many times. I deleted those notes, and noticed that they can never be completely erased - they keep coming back.
Then, I realized these notes are all "form fills", so I deleted them there.

Voilla, problem solved.

In other words:
1. Go to you vault.
2. Go to "Form fills" on the left.
3. Delete everything.
4. Try now

Hope it helps others!

Many many thanks! It does work for me!
mcmind564

PreviousNext

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting