Can't update chrome extension

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: Can't update chrome extension

Postby andreiv3103438 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:42 am

Same here. Tried the uninstall/reinstall. Also happening on a freshly installed computer.
andreiv3103438

Postby jcmcknight » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Same here...two different computers, using different browsers. Is there hope this issue will be resolved from form discussion or will we all need to submit tix?
jcmcknight

Postby will949 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:30 am

Same here, in all cases I am using chrome but I bought a new MacBook Pro last week as a loaner while mine was in the shop. The one in the shop had the issue, the new MacBook Pro had the issue and now that I returned the new macbook and received my MacBook Pro back, I continue to have the same issue...

The annoying thing is that after the update doesn't work, the browser extension icon turns yellow again and none of your passwords will work till you log in again to LastPass.

This reminds me of when the same company in question killed their XMarks extension. It is this the beginning of the end?
will949

Postby gakuen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:50 pm

Have same issue like few month. LastPass trying to update, but stack on update message.
gakuen

Postby nichtstuer » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:57 am

Same
Windows 10 Pro 1803, Chrome 76.0.3809.100 64-bit, LastPass 4.31.1
Also can't save new passwords
nichtstuer

Postby eddiesmo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:18 am

Hi everyone, I managed to fix it on my account!

First, I noticed that I have secure notes that have duplicated many times. I deleted those notes, and noticed that they can never be completely erased - they keep coming back.
Then, I realized these notes are all "form fills", so I deleted them there.

Voilla, problem solved.

In other words:
1. Go to you vault.
2. Go to "Form fills" on the left.
3. Delete everything.
4. Try now

Hope it helps others!
eddiesmo

Postby synapse913 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:30 am

Indeed, eddiesmo is right!

I had a few "Form fills", but one of them had non-ASCII characters in the "Name" field. Renaming the non-ASCII form-fill immediately fixes the issue.

Previosly, before the form-fill was renamed, pressing "update" button brought LastPass in "updating" state forever.

Simultaneously, the chrome extension errors interface showed an error:
Code: Select All Code
Uncaught InvalidCharacterError: Failed to execute 'btoa' on 'Window': The string to be encoded contains characters outside of the Latin1 range.
Uncaught DOMException: Failed to execute 'btoa' on 'Window': The string to be encoded contains characters outside of the Latin1 range.
    at rewritelocalfile (chrome-extension://hdokiejnpimakedhajhdlcegeplioahd/server.js:1:56170)
    at lpSaveSiteResponse (chrome-extension://hdokiejnpimakedhajhdlcegeplioahd/server.js:1:91594)
    at lpreadystatechange (chrome-extension://hdokiejnpimakedhajhdlcegeplioahd/lpfulllib.js:1:252423)
    at u (chrome-extension://hdokiejnpimakedhajhdlcegeplioahd/lpfulllib.js:1:248446)
    at XMLHttpRequest.o.onreadystatechange (chrome-extension://hdokiejnpimakedhajhdlcegeplioahd/lpfulllib.js:1:248779)

The corresponding javascript error is raised in the statement `e=btoa(e)`:
function rewritelocalfile(r, n, o) {
    o = void 0 === o ? null : o;
    var e = flattendata(g_local_accts_version, g_sites, g_securenotes, g_prompts, g_formfills, g_identities, g_equivalentdomains, g_neverurls, g_premium_exp, enc(g_username), g_pendings, g_shareeautopushes, lpmaxid, g_urlrules, g_prefoverrides, g_shares, g_applications, g_enterpriseuser, lp_attaches, g_emer_sharers, g_emer_sharees, g_totp, g_note_templates, g_pending_shares);
    if (e = btoa(e), (LPISLOC || o) && (e = "LPB64" + e), e = prependIterations(e = prependOTPAndEncrypt(e)), lpSaveData(e, "accts"), LPISLOC || o) {
        if (e = prependIterations(e = enc(e)), o || lpdisableoffline) return e;
        protect_data(e, !0, null, function (e) {
            if (have_binary_function("write_file")) {
                var t = "";
                r && (t = "_" + (new Date).toString().replace(" ", "_"));
                var a = db_prepend(g_username_hash + t + "_lps.act.sxml");
                o && (a = "lpexport.xml"), call_binary_function("write_file", a, e)
            } r || n || lpnp_notify("refresh_local", { data0: g_username_hash })
        })
    } update_menus(!0)
}

The Firefox extension debugger said:
InvalidCharacterError: String contains an invalid character server.js:1
    rewritelocalfile moz-extension://8757a5b0-8cdc-4c7e-84d5-a9cff49a175d/server.js:1
    lpSaveSiteResponse moz-extension://8757a5b0-8cdc-4c7e-84d5-a9cff49a175d/server.js:1
    lpreadystatechange moz-extension://8757a5b0-8cdc-4c7e-84d5-a9cff49a175d/lpfulllib.js:1
    u moz-extension://8757a5b0-8cdc-4c7e-84d5-a9cff49a175d/lpfulllib.js:1
    onreadystatechange moz-extension://8757a5b0-8cdc-4c7e-84d5-a9cff49a175d/lpfulllib.js:1

Which seems to be the same issue of encoding a string into base64, i.e.
btoa(e)
conversion error.
There are a few solutions, such as https://www.base64encoder.io/javascript/ and https://stackoverflow.com/questions/232 ... s-characte
synapse913

Postby xneider » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Same here. It's been there for weeks. It is annoying. Cannot update in any way. Uninstall and install again and for my surprise it install an "older version". How come?
xneider

Postby panos00 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:41 am

eddiesmo Wrote:Hi everyone, I managed to fix it on my account!

First, I noticed that I have secure notes that have duplicated many times. I deleted those notes, and noticed that they can never be completely erased - they keep coming back.
Then, I realized these notes are all "form fills", so I deleted them there.

Voilla, problem solved.

In other words:
1. Go to you vault.
2. Go to "Form fills" on the left.
3. Delete everything.
4. Try now

Hope it helps others!

This!! Many, many, thanks!! This issue has been bugging for almost two months now!!

I just wished that this has been in an official reply somewhere and we did not have to hunt through the forum looking for it... Or even better if it was not an issue from the start. Come-on, it's not an english-only world!!
panos00

Postby froopyloop » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:01 pm

This is happening for me on Mac, Windows and Linux. It would be nice if someone from Lastpass would comment and give us all some help.
froopyloop

PreviousNext

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting