A consistency check failed following PBKDF2 upgrade

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

A consistency check failed following PBKDF2 upgrade

Postby yato » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:58 pm

1] Yesterday, I received the following by email:
We are notifying you of a routine security upgrade we recently made to all LastPass accounts. Specifically, we increased the default PBKDF2 iterations to 100,100. PBKDF2 is used to protect your master password in the unlikely event of a brute-force attack. We periodically make security upgrades, such as increasing PBKDF2 iterations, to ensure we're providing the best security for users.

The update happened automatically upon login to your LastPass account. Because the upgrade requires a re-encryption of the vault, LastPass records the event as a password change in your account history, as seen below, though no master password changes have been made. Note that you will be required to log-in again on other devices where you use LastPass.

2] Today, I cannot log into lastpass on Firefox, Chrome, Edge - the plugin goes yellow, and the following is displayed when I click on it:
A consistency check failed while loading your sites. Please relogin.

3] I also cannot log into android, which just sits there spinning a red circle.

4] Removing and reinstalling plugins, and clearing out all data from browsers, doesn't change this behavior.

5] I can log into the web interface on Edge, and I managed to export my data from the vault. This is the only way that I can get into my account.

6] In the vault (5), when I try to look at "account settings" from either bottom left or top right, I get a dialog saying
Account Settings Your session has expired Please relogin

How to I remedy this?
yato

Re: A consistency check failed following PBKDF2 upgrade

Postby Muon » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:42 am

Hello yato, I have been having exactly the same issue after the PBKDF2 upgrade. I was unable to log in on the extension in any of the browsers. I could log on via the web page, but got logged out every time I tried to look at the account settings. The solution that worked for me was to revert to the previous password via https://lastpass.com/revert.php. That reverted the changes from the update and since then I am able to login on my mobile app and extensions. I am not sure whether it will work for you, but I figured it might help.
Muon

Postby yato » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:28 am

Thank you, I'll try that and get back.
I have a current workaround: create new account and import the exported data from 5] in my OP.
yato

SOLVED A consistency check failed following PBKDF2 upgrade

Postby yato » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:56 pm

Thank you very much, that worked:

Just to reiterate:
1] I logged in on edge and successfully exported my data, saved it off in another vault.
2] Reverted the "password change" (aka re-encryption) from here: https://lastpass.com/revert.php
3] Logged in with the master password.
4] Changed master password, my thinking being that it would trigger re-encryption with the new PBKDF2 iterations - so that I won't hit this again.
yato

Postby philip448 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:53 am

Having the same issue following the PBKDF2 upgrade. Is anyone from the LastPass team able to confirm that the supported resolution to this issue is to create a new account as suggested by yato above?
philip448

Postby coredump007 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:37 pm

Same error for me. Firefox and Chrome extensions bring this error, even if I try to login to the website.
Microsoft Edge login worked for me as well. I'm Premium User and do not want to create another account, so I guess I wait for LogMeIn to fix LastPass.
coredump007

Postby Bex » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:52 pm

philip448 Wrote:Having the same issue following the PBKDF2 upgrade. Is anyone from the LastPass team able to confirm that the supported resolution to this issue is to create a new account as suggested by yato above?

Good Question! Unfortunately the workaround listed by the previous user is not confirmed as an official workaround by LastPass. Please keep in mind that trying this workaround will be ones own risk. I have forwarded this thread to our Development team so that they can investigate this strange occurance further.

Our apologies for the temporary inconvenience this may cause in the meantime and I will be sure to update once further progress on this situation has been made.

-Bex
Bex
Site Admin

Postby Bex » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:52 pm

For those, who are reporting that they are experiencing this issue. Can you please confirm which browsers and version you are experiencing this issue? As well as what device you are operating?

Thank you for your participation and bringing this to our attention so we can address and resolve this issue.
-Bex
Bex
Site Admin

Postby smn » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:50 am

I have a same problem. Case: 10496282 with screen video
- on Windows 7 (chrome Version 75.0.3770.142 (Build officiel) (32 bits), IE Version 11.0.9600.19399). I also tried on a new installation of windows 7 without anything on it, I have the same problem.
- on android mobile samsung S9 (samsung browser and chrome browser).

Please fix very quickly because it is impossible to work without your passwords
smn

Postby Bex » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:52 am

smn Wrote:I have a same problem. Case: 10496282 with screen video
- on Windows 7 (chrome Version 75.0.3770.142 (Build officiel) (32 bits), IE Version 11.0.9600.19399). I also tried on a new installation of windows 7 without anything on it, I have the same problem.
- on android mobile samsung S9 (samsung browser and chrome browser).

Please fix very quickly because it is impossible to work without your passwords

Hi,

Thank you for providing your case number! After reviewing your case, I have made a change to your account so that you can attempt to log in again. Please let me know if you are able to successfully log in?

Look forward to your reply.
-Bex
Bex
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting