Mac OS App + extension = terrible experience

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: Mac OS App + extension = terrible experience

Postby jsf651 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience with LP on Safari, JONS. I will continue to follow your forum thread.
jsf651

Postby JohnGalanis » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:29 pm

Just wanted to chime in that I have all of the same problems you've listed JONS with Safari on MacOS. It's terrible and now that my prior Premium subscription is set to jump to $36 in a month, I'll definitely be investigating the equally-priced 1Password and other options going forward if LP can't get their act together on Safari quickly. Because right now it's honestly trash.

For me the biggest killer is that keyboard shortcuts don't work through Safari. I don't set autofill (for the security concerns) but instead do populate login fields by the shortcuts for "Fill In Next [or Previous] Login". Those just don't work for Safari, which I assume is probably related to the autofill functionality just not working either, but I'd note that NONE of the keyboard shortcuts work (e.g. "Open My LastPass Vault"), and yet all of these shortcuts work just fine [and to any custom values I set them to] using Chrome on MacOS.

I'd be curious if the "manual" filling mandated by 1Pass can be accomplished via keyboard shortcut as an alternative to mouse selection.
JohnGalanis

Postby JONS » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:30 am

JohnGalanis Wrote:I'd be curious if the "manual" filling mandated by 1Pass can be accomplished via keyboard shortcut as an alternative to mouse selection.

Looks like it can. In the 1Password support link below, it indicates that Command‑Backslash (\) will "Fill Login on current web page".

https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/

I never made use of this shortcut during my trial of 1Password, but it would at least partially alleviate my gripe about the lack of autofilling. I found that migrating to 1Password was straightforward (export and then import), but in addition to the lack of autofill, the other main reason I've resisted so far is that I use LP Authenticator, and I wasn't keen to go through the hassle of migrating away from LP Authenticator too. 1Password does have authenticator functionality too though, so one day if my frustration with LP finally gets the best of me I might just make the jump in full.
JONS

Postby sus571 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:43 pm

I am having the same problems. Have also uninstalled, reinstalled, updated, etc. etc. etc. Right now, LastPass is as helpful as my old spreadsheet was. REALLY GLAD I have the free version - such a shame, it used to work so well!
sus571

Postby Yarrow » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:34 am

JONS Wrote:I just did full uninstall of Lastpass from my Mac, then restarted, then downloaded the latest version of the LP Mac app (4.30.0) then did a fresh install, and I still have all the above issues :(

Anybody else having any of the above issues?

All the time. ALL THE TIME. This is impossibly frustrating. A password manager should be simple and reliable, yet there seems to be no compatibility between LastPass and my Mac devices, and it seems to get worse with every update.

At this point, I can only use last pass as a repository for my passwords. I look them up, copy them, and manually insert them where they are needed.

This is no way to run things, folks. I am ready to jump ship!
Yarrow

Postby JONS » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 pm

I just installed the 4.31.1 (previous version was 4.31.0), and unfortunately I haven't seen any improvements with Safari over 4.31.0. The extension is still failing to autofill, it's still presenting LP entries from the previous website I just visited, some username and password fields don't display the LP icon, etc. Release notes for 4.31.1 are not yet listed, but I'm guessing the work wasn't directed toward addressing Safari issues.

LP Changelog: https://lastpass.com/upgrade.php?fromwe ... asenotes=1
JONS

Postby lisamnewcomb656 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:09 pm

I am having similar issues on Macbook with Chrome. Running Mojave and I get an "invalid response" error when the popup from the extension wants to update a change to logins. Very frustrating.

As a work around, I've installed Flycut to save the strong passwords so I can then update inside LP manually.
lisamnewcomb656

Postby JONS » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:41 pm

JONS Wrote:I just installed the 4.31.1 (previous version was 4.31.0), and unfortunately I haven't seen any improvements with Safari over 4.31.0.

I just discovered one welcome change, actually. Since LP for Safari is plagued with issues I am forced to utilise the LP icon in the browser toolbar most of the time. I just noticed that in 4.31.1, when the LP toolbar icon is clicked the most relevant LP entry is already displayed and ready to click straightaway, rather than having to mouse down to 'show matching sites' then click it, then choose the matching LP entry. While I'm still hanging out for autofill to be fixed for Safari, this at least lessens the burden of the current issues.

Also, for anybody else that is persevering with LP for Safari, I strongly suggest becoming aquatinted with the keyboard shortcuts. Namely, Command + Page Up to autofill your password, and if you have multiple entries for a particular site, you can cycle through them with Command + Page Up or Command + Page down. I've never been a big user of keyboard shortcuts, but desperate times, hey.
JONS

Postby tmcdanel » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 pm

Macbook Mojave
I just "updated" to LP v4.31.1 (641). The interface has seriously deteriorated. Form fills are gone. They appear to have been replaced by secure notes, or something. It seems to have lost a lot of functionality.

Even before this latest version, I was having all the problems of the Original Poster. If I can export the LP bookmarks I may try 1Password. The irony of all the constraints that Safari designers put on 3rd party developers like LP to "improve security" is that it makes the routines of daily life much less secure.

If they LP & Apple cannot work together, I may have to go back to a little black notebook. Heck, maybe I will go back to writing letters and get a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1995.
tmcdanel

Postby JONS » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:36 pm

JONS Wrote:
JONS Wrote:Also, for anybody else that is persevering with LP for Safari, I strongly suggest becoming aquatinted with the keyboard shortcuts.

ok, something to report. I just noticed that when I navigate to a site, when I click the LP icon in the toolbar (due to failure to autofill), LP will often still present the wrong login info (ie from the previous site that I just visited), however, if I use the keyboard shortcut to initiate the autofill then it fills the correct site entry. This s!*t's crazy, yo.
JONS

PreviousNext

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting