Mac OS App + extension = terrible experience

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Mac OS App + extension = terrible experience

Postby JONS » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:56 pm

I've been happily using LP for many years, but since Apple forced the inception of a standalone app (in addition to the web browser extensions), LP has been absolutely horrendous for me.

I install every LP update as soon as they become available and I restart my Macs frequently, but still I am plagued by problems across both my Macs, which are both running Mojave.

Here's a list of issues I'm frustrated by on a daily basis:

1) LP Mac App prevents shutdown of my Macs

2) username and passwords fields no longer auto fill in safari or other web browsers. This is despite 'automatically fill login information' being enabled in LP preferences.

3) upon navigating to a website, the username and password fields often do not detect that that login details exist for that site and the fields do not display the LP icons that can usually be clicked to fill the details.

4) following point 3 above, sometimes a website DOES detect that username/password info is available for a given site and the LP icon IS displayed at the end of the username and password fields, however, when the LP icon is clicked to attempt to fill the form, the dropdown box is actually empty, instead of displaying the appropriate entry for that website.

5) when I navigate to a website, the LP extension icon (in the browser toolbar) displays a badge icon (i.e. number '1' or '2', depending on how many logins I have for that site) indicating that I have a username and password entry saved for that website. When I click the toolbar icon and then click 'show matching sites' (which is what I often have to do due to issues 2, 3 and 4 above), the LP entry that is displayed is for the PREVIOUS website that I just visited, not for the current website that I am trying to log into. At this point I have to refresh the webpage, then go back to the LP toolbar icon, then 'show matching sites' where the correct website entry will now be displayed. This is especially frustrating!

6) When performing step 5, sometimes after clicking 'auto fill' for the correct website entry, the username and password information is not actually entered into the fields. The LP toolbar menu just disappears. Then I have to refresh the page and go again.

7) I often have to log into LP twice, despite completing the 2-factor authentication process (via the LP authenticator iOS app) the first time.

That's everything I can recall at the moment but there's probably a few other niggling issues that escape me at the moment.

Unless I'm missing something and there are easy fixes for these issues, I'm about ready to abandon LP on Mac for another password manager. The whole point of LP is meant to be convenience, but since the inception of the Mac app it's been anything but!
JONS

Re: Mac OS App + extension = terrible experience

Postby JONS » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:44 pm

I just did full uninstall of Lastpass from my Mac, then restarted, then downloaded the latest version of the LP Mac app (4.30.0) then did a fresh install, and I still have all the above issues :(

Anybody else having any of the above issues?
JONS

Postby Blanko » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:48 am

My experience of using LP on Mac / Safari browser has also been horrendous (same problems as JONS) so much so that I given up on Safari and have reluctantly changed to Google Chrome, where LP seems to work as it should.

I have been in contact with LP support who have been unable to make any useful suggestions to rectify my problems. Despite having told support that I have uninstalled their software and extension and deleted all references to LP in my Library prior to re-installing the latest version of LP software, they persist in directing me towards links that suggest the same course of action!

I have now informed support that I will be using Chrome until such time as they are able to resolve the Safari/LP issues. I also told them that when I have the time I will investigate an alternative password manager that will enable me to use Safari again as it is my preferred browser. Customer Care's response to this was to send me an email asking on a scale of one to ten if I would recommend them to a friend or colleague. To be fair to them they also said that if I had any further questions I could respond to their email. However I have wasted too much time on this and will now let the matter rest.

OS 10.13.6, Safari 12.1.1, LP 4.30.0
Blanko

Postby JONS » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:42 pm

It definitely seems that on Mac the issues I've flagged above are specifically in relation to Safari. That is, for me, LP also works perfectly fine within Chrome whereas Safari is plagued with all the faults in my original post. That's a real shame as Safari is certainly my browser of choice on Mac. As such, I'm currently on a 30-day free trial period for 1Password, which so far is working flawlessly on Safari. However, unlike LP, I've discovered that 1Password never auto-fills username and passwords as they deem it to be a security risk, so that's an annoyance, but at least the 1Password app/extension always displays up the correct vault entry when a website is visited - that's kind of important....
JONS

Postby dandmjor340 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:16 pm

To JONS: So you're saying that 1Password does not autofill username or password ever? Does it require a cut and paste then? It seems like that somewhat defeats the purpose of a password manager.
dandmjor340

Postby JONS » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:55 pm

dandmjor340 Wrote:To JONS: So you're saying that 1Password does not autofill username or password ever? Does it require a cut and paste then? It seems like that somewhat defeats the purpose of a password manager.

Depends exactly what we mean by 'autofill'. When you navigate to a website, 1Password never automatically fills in the username and password fields with your stored data. LP, however, does do this. Rather, with 1Password, once you navigate to a website, you then click the web browser extension icon and the dropdown box shows that a username/password data is available for that website, you then hit return or click the data entry and the username and password fields are filled.

So it 'autofills' the form AFTER you tell it to, but doesn't autofill immediately upon navigating to a site. It's explained a bit more in the link below. I did also find this same info confirmed in 1Password's own support FAQs, but I cannot find it again. For me, autofill should mean that I don't even have to bother with extra steps to tell the password manager to fill the fields, so after being used to LP, I found 1Password to be a bit annoying for this reason.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discu ... put-fields
JONS

Postby dandmjor340 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:12 pm

OK, I see. Thanks for the response. LP is working for me with Firefox, but like everybody else commenting, it's no longer working with Safari, which is also my browser of choice on my Mac. So frustrating since LP has been so good in the past.
dandmjor340

Postby Blanko » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:25 am

To dandmjor340, The majority of sites on my LP/Safari are failing to autofill in the same way as JONS, however some sites do require require cut and paste to populate. I see this as a potential security issue as it is all to easy to leave a password on the clipboard.
Blanko

Postby canglin14 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:49 pm

I too am having a similar experience as JONS and Blanko. Lastpass has been a great application until the change dictated by Safari. Has anyone heard directly from Lastpass? Has anyone investigated another password manager that is as good as Lastpass?
canglin14

Postby JONS » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:11 pm

I just installed the 4.31.0 update on my Mac. I've seen some improvements when using Safari, but some of the major issues I listed above still remain.

Autofill is still not working in that username and password fields are not automatically filled as soon as I go to a site login. Most sites are now displaying the LP icon at the end of the entry fields though, and I can click the icon and select the login info to enter - so that's certainly an improvement. However, for some sites, the LP icon still does not display at all (Ubank and Bankwest login sites, for example) and I still have to use the extension icon in the browser toolbar.

Seems that the majority of sites I visit are now presenting the correct username and password login info, whereas previously the login info of the last site I had visited would be presented. However, there is still numerous sites where LP is still presenting login info from the previous site that I just visited, rather than the site I'm trying to log into.

So some progress has been made, but there's still quite a bit a few issues to be addressed. Keep at it please, LP Devs!
JONS

Next

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting