Family Invite needs master password

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Family Invite needs master password

Postby ryansmithnz662 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi all, apologies if this is a dumb question - but I am trying to send an invite to a family member. They do not have an account as far as I know - but when i try to accept the invite, I am getting redirected to the standard login page. If I try and register a new account using the invited members email address, it says that the account already exists? So I cannot set a master password, and I (nor they) know what their master password is. I have tried password recovery which fails. the hint is a generic "Generated Password" which seems like something pro grammatically was configured.
So I guess my question is - does the invite create the account even prior to the invited accepting the invite - or is it likely that the account was already setup?

Cheers,
R
ryansmithnz662

Re: Family Invite needs master password

Postby mike783 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:01 pm

Same problem here. Trying to invite my wife, but now it says her email address is taken. So I ask for a recovery hint. Never receive the email. I go as far as trying to reset the account. "We will send you an email with instructions." Never receive the email. :(

Any help would be appreciated.
mike783

Postby jakob839 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Me too, invitation to my son expired, but I nothing happens on resend. I have tried to remove him and add him again but no new invitation mail. Same goes for my wife.

I do think I read somewhere that a family member has to create a free account, and join with that. My son got through the account creation and then was told the invite expired.
jakob839

Postby mike783 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:04 am

I was able to force this to work. There seems to be a disconnect when a person - who does NOT yet have an account - is invited into a family and then allows the invite to expire. I was able to 'reset' the account by resetting the email address which deleted everything (though, since it was never used, there was nothing to delete) and then I was able to sign my wife up with her email, and re-invite her to the family.

https://lastpass.com/delete_account.php - Choose Reset.
mike783

Postby jakob839 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:44 pm

I will try this, thanks.
I presume it was your wifes, newly created and unused account that was reset
jakob839

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting