Disable LastPass auto-updating passwords?

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Disable LastPass auto-updating passwords?

Postby hubro » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:59 am

We just had a scare after I updated the password of a firewall user, and LastPass saw fit to automatically overwrite the admin password of that firewall. The undo button gave an error and refused to undo the change. It took a couple of days of panic and dread before we discovered that LastPass saved password history so we could reset the password.

LastPass automatically overwriting passwords is ridiculous and there should be an option to completely disable this "feature" from your account.

I have disabled the options "Show Change Password Notification Bar" and "Show Notifications".

My question is: does this prevent LastPass from touching my passwords without permission? Or will LastPass now overwrite my passwords silently and just not tell me? That would be catastrophic, and it's critical I know the answer as soon as possible.
hubro

Re: Disable LastPass auto-updating passwords?

Postby FlyingHawk » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:36 am

You can always do some tests on non-critical sites, so you can know for sure.

To answer your question - yes, it disables auto-change passwords. LP won't silently change your passwords.
FlyingHawk

Re: Disable LastPass auto-updating passwords?

Postby hubro » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:36 pm

FlyingHawk Wrote:You can always do some tests on non-critical sites, so you can know for sure.

To answer your question - yes, it disables auto-change passwords. LP won't silently change your passwords.

OK thanks. I wouldn't know how to test this as it doesn't always automatically update my passwords. When I was changing user passwords on our firewall I declined updating the password in LastPass multiple times before it suddenly did it without asking me.
hubro

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting