Keeps logging out

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Keeps logging out

Postby jhaber191 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:17 am

LastPass as of today, for the first time, has started to require me to log in with every browser session. How can I stop this? I verified that the options to automatically log out are unchecked.

My browser settings have not changed. I do have it set to keep cookies only until Firefox is closed, however. I prefer not having to clear cookies manually for all sites, a security issue. Block cookies is also checked, although it doesn't seem to have affected the functionality of sites I visit. I see an option, of course, in Forefox to creat exceptions, but then I'd need to know a URL for LastPass, right?
jhaber191

Re: Keeps logging out

Postby jpenny84 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:23 pm

Cookies are required to maintain a LastPass session. You'll have to whitelist any LastPass cookies if you want to maintain a session beyond browser close.
jpenny84

Postby jhaber191 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Curious, as I hadn't changed settings and the problem arose only today. Still, on the assumption that you're right, can you help me further? I know how to create exceptions for a Web site, since the browser settings simply as for a URL. How, though, can I manage exceptions for a plugin?
jhaber191

Postby jhaber191 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:13 am

I have to follow this up further. I've enabled all cookies, although this is distasteful to me and will mean a great deal of time checking to see which sites store cookies and creating exceptions to kill them. (Note that it's also contrary to Firefox's own recommendation, which is to disable third-party trackers but not all third-party cookies.) In the setting for removing history on exiting Firefox, I've unchecked the box for cookies. And guess what? It's still not saving my LastPass login. Again, this is as of a couple of days ago, with no changes in plugins or other settings. Help! Logging manually into LastPass several times a day is not what I bargained for when I installed it. Heck, before that Firefox itself was saving many logins so that I wasn't typing passwords half as often.
jhaber191

Postby jhaber191 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:21 am

OK, this gets even more complicated. I closed the browser, opened it again, and went into options, privacy, manage data. And it shows a cookie from lastpass.com. Yet I still have to log in manually to have it do its job of accessing saved passwords for other sites. Again, this is crazy, so please help.
jhaber191

Postby jhaber191 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:05 pm

Wait, I think I have it. The right option wasn't to accept all cookies, and I returned that to blocking third-party trackers (the default). It was to change, reluctantly, Keep Until to "they expire." I shall know only over time, and I can't say what brought the change in behavior on, but for now looks good. That is, it looks good apart from its keeping me busy compiling a long list of exceptions so that other sites don't store cookies with me indefinitely.
jhaber191

Postby jhaber191 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:50 am

Let me update this, partly to get it right, partly to test whether I can. Last I tried, it told me it wouldn't accept my comment because it was "suspicious." If this works, I shall then add the updated information, meaning the correct solution.
jhaber191

Postby jhaber191 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:56 am

Ok, so here we go. I was wrong about everything, and so was LastPass. The idea of allowing all cookies means creating exponentially growing exceptions. So does keeping till they expire! The correct solution, in case it helps others, is to go ahead and feel free to change from Allow to Block Third-Party Tracking (recommended in Firefox), and also feel free then to chose Keep Until Firefox is closed. But then the trick is to add the right exception for LastPass and also to watch for conflicts with third-party sofware like, in my case, CCleaner.

The trick with the exception is that if you just add lastpass.com (at least in Firefox), that translates into http, so you need explicitly to type https://lastpass.com. (At least in Firefox, that acts as if you use a wildcard up front, in effect all sites ending lastpass.com and beginning with http://.) As for CCleaner, you can go to its setting and, specify that your browser's cookies won't be cleaned.
jhaber191

Postby pporro436 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Same here, I've gone nuts, changed cookies policy in Firefox, removed the LastPass app, then clicked a link for allow lastpass, which added it to firefox. Still if I close the broweser, when I open again, I have to enter the email and password manually. Was working fine until a WIndows 10 update a little over a week ago. (which also lost data and screwed up other things!) Just frustrating that every time I open Firefox I have to manually enter my email and lastpass password and yes I click the save, it's my home computer, desktop.
pporro436

Postby jeff871 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:33 am

Not only that but I have LastPass for Applications and that keeps getting logged off all the time as well, even though it is not tied to a browser. And if it logs out while the browser is open, it can log the browser session of LP off as well (or maybe vice versa). I have also seen LP for Chrome get logged out when I close Firefox (which gets logged out) even though LP for Chrome was not even open at the time. I also updated Windows 10 to the October update finally in the past few weeks.
jeff871

Next

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting