Offline Mode Broken

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Offline Mode Broken

Postby johnm304 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Today lastpass was offline for several hours. I would have thought this was no big deal as lastpass on my PCs should have fallen back to a local cached copy of my vault. Instead, when I disable wifi lastpass says I am offline and should connect to the internet. When I then attempt to log in to lastpass the browser plug-in does nothing...No cached anything. I have tested this from a win10 pc and a mac 14.1 both with chrome. Also test firefox on Win10. All the same behavior.

This article says this should have worked, but it didn't.

https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=956

I haven't messed with MFA at all so that should be a non-isue.

I did download pocket for win10 and found a cached version of my vault that was 2 years old. So what the heck happened? Have you guys depricated the offline vault option? Is this behavior by design? What went wrong...seems like a serious screwup to me.
johnm304

Re: Offline Mode Broken

Postby easypass » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:03 pm

I have found offline access to be broken as well for the desktop browser. On mobile device there is a checkbox at the login screen to force a local login. During the outage yesterday 11-20-18 this was my only option to access my vault. The browser plugin would not fallback to the local cache, which I verified was resident on the hard drive. I also attempted to access the local vault with Pocket with no success yesterday. Today I Exported my vault to a an encrypted XML file and tried Pocket again after downloading a fresh copy. Pocket could not parse the file after it successfully authenticated my creds and Yubikey 2FA. This results in ZERO offline access in the browser interface, and is UNACCEPTABLE for ongoing operation.

Please advise on remediation for this. The status quo won't fly.
easypass

Postby meaterator » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Not to steer things in the wrong direction, as I agree this is a serious problem. However, I'm just as upset that I can't even use Pocket on Windows 10 with YubiKey. And yes, I'm trying my Slot 1 YubiKey. I've even reset it in an effort to troubleshoot this.

Logging into Lastpass Pocket with correct credentials and the correct YubiKey, I get "We could not log you in to your account, due to a multifactor authentication error". I can access my account through any number of methods with the same credentials and YubiKeys, just not through Pocket. Really annoying. Yes, I'm a paying user.
meaterator

Postby hike20309 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:53 am

I have been trying to work with Support on this issue and it's falling on deaf ears. They just don't seem to understand the problem. I regret that it may be time to get rid of LP and go to a different platform. I've been a premium user since shortly after LP launched. I guess all good things come to an end eventually.
hike20309

Postby Rich4422 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:49 pm

hike20309 Wrote:I have been trying to work with Support on this issue and it's falling on deaf ears. They just don't seem to understand the problem. I regret that it may be time to get rid of LP and go to a different platform. I've been a premium user since shortly after LP launched. I guess all good things come to an end eventually.

They addressed this issue in their blog post and are gonna make changes to offline mode. https://blog.lastpass.com/2018/11/lastp ... next.html/
Rich4422

Postby johnm304 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Thanks Rich4422 - the thing is offline mode still doesn't work. I can disconnect my pc from the internet and repro lastpass not using my local vault; it just takes whatever I give it and doesn't do anything. They need to announce their timelines for fixing this...
johnm304

Postby easypass » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:33 pm

In the spirit of "Trust no one" (TNO) the paid users of Lastpass ought to expect, and receive the delivery, that the extremely important data they trust to this technology will always be Confidential, Integrity assured, and Available (CIA) to them and only them whenever it is required to the maximum degree possible. There are no absolute guarantees in the physical world, or cyber worlds for that matter. However, the risk of failed attempts at guarantees can be incrementally, and sometimes exponentially, reduced by layers of backup systems and alternate access methods. An extreme example of that could be exporting all the digital vault data to a text file that's printed and stored in a physical bank safe deposit box. No one wants to do that, but most would likely prefer having the capability of an OFFLINE database of the vault that could be moved to a more secure (CIA) location, copied many times to diverse media, and ultimately maintain total control over it's contents. I believe that Lastpass practiced the TNO philosophy from the start, at least in the near decade I have been a subscriber. While I probably paid less attention to that attribute in the recent years, it troubles me that some of that attitude may have eroded away. Indicators of this might be the lack of attention and support given to Pocket.exe, potential corporate shifting of priorities through M&A activity, and consumer products getting less attention than corporate clients over time. I am merely speculating on this, and hope that I'm totally wrong. The immediate future time frame (a month or two at the max) will probably shine some light on my theory whether Lastpass believes in TNO today as much as I do and fixes this current Offline Access deficiency. If not the A in CIA will be damaged a great deal and TNO will be as well.
easypass

Postby easypass » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:11 am

I decided to revisit the topic of this thread today. I discovered that the current version of Pocket.exe WILL, 1. load my vault "from the cloud", 2. export the content to an encrypted .XML file, and 3. at a later time load, decrypt, and parse successfully the offline archived vault. I had been previously been attempting to export the .xml file directly from the browser plug-ins in various browsers without parsing success. I'm back to TNO, once again!!
easypass

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting