Exporting LastPas Valut

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Exporting LastPas Valut

Postby Mohamed » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:35 pm

Hey folks,
I'm facing this problem and hopefully wish to find a solution.. Every time I export my data from LastPass Chrome Extension or form the website directly, it opens me an HTML file, not a CSV.. and when I right click on that HTML page to "Save it as" the options are just "Web Page", I know exactly how to export my data but why it's not working?
Mohamed

Re: Exporting LastPas Valut

Postby FlyingHawk » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:52 pm

It's a plain text file. You can just copy & paste the content into a local file, and name the file with a .csv extension.
FlyingHawk

Postby aw299 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:04 pm

Sorry, but downloading the html, renaming it, and importing it to Excel does not help at all.
Why can't LP simply generate a .csv file?
aw299

Postby FlyingHawk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:40 pm

I said to copy the content and paste it into a new text file, not to download the html file.

You can have a file saving prompt if you install the binary component.
FlyingHawk

Postby phemfrog » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:01 pm

My question is this.

If i go ahead and open this HTML file, is that information, in that browser tab secure? This seems like a huge possible security issue. Also, copying it to the clipboard may not be safe.

I just dont know enough about browsers to know. is html safe? or could i have malware that lets someone read it?
phemfrog

Postby jpenny84 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:11 pm

phemfrog Wrote:My question is this.

If i go ahead and open this HTML file, is that information, in that browser tab secure? This seems like a huge possible security issue. Also, copying it to the clipboard may not be safe.

I just dont know enough about browsers to know. is html safe? or could i have malware that lets someone read it?

As stated above, you will get a file prompt by installing and enabling the binary component.

https://support.logmeininc.com/lastpass ... 007#Binary
jpenny84

Postby phemfrog » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:33 am

I understand now how to use the binary component, but my question is about the security of the export feature without it. I already tried to export without the binary component, and I am now wondering if i accidentally exposed all my passwords. i ALREADY generated the html file. Is there a chance that someone could have access to it?
phemfrog

Postby FlyingHawk » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:44 pm

phemfrog Wrote:I already tried to export without the binary component, and I am now wondering if i accidentally exposed all my passwords. i ALREADY generated the html file. Is there a chance that someone could have access to it?

There's always a chance.
The question is how much.
The answer is not much.

More precisely, it carries about the same risk as any normal usage of LastPass.
If a malicious extension/software is snooping on you, it can grab your passwords from various website login pages and the clipboard just as easily. Generating that html file does not increase this risk.
FlyingHawk

Postby veronica361580 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:39 am

This was working back in August, an actual csv file was generated (Chrome). Now it's not working, I'm getting the same html page. Raise a support ticket, all I got was instructions to Export. Obvious didn't read my issue, nor care, because the second reply was worse.

Does anyone know how to escalate this problem?
veronica361580

Postby mopperle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:34 am

TBH, this so called export function is a total mess and needs serious improvement:
- a csv file should be created and not a new webpage being opened with plain text in it
- the notes are not correctly exported, they are causing line breaks, which results in separating them from the rest of the record and messing up the export
- same for safe notes; best would be to have an option to export them separately

IMHO this function is everything else then userfriendly and needs to be reworked.
mopperle

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting