Auto logoff timeout

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Auto logoff timeout

Postby Davesmithers » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:46 am

I am using v1.32 on IE7, under Win XP.
I have not been able to figure out how to get auto-logoff timeout to work.
My most recent test was: I set the timeout in the control panel to 30 min, and the web timeout to 30min just to be sure. Then I shut down my PC, and went away for the whole day. And this was a power down, not a standby or hibernate.
When I came back that evening, powered on and opened up the browswer again, lastpass was logged in!
Something didn't stick. Is there a save settings or something?
Dave
Davesmithers

Re: Auto logoff timeout

Postby skbharman » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Yeah I have the exact same problem. The only thing that seems to work is having LastPass logout when I close my browser. This needs to be fixed.
skbharman

Postby JoeSiegrist » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:54 pm

Davesmithers wrote:I am using v1.32 on IE7, under Win XP.
I have not been able to figure out how to get auto-logoff timeout to work.
My most recent test was: I set the timeout in the control panel to 30 min, and the web timeout to 30min just to be sure. Then I shut down my PC, and went away for the whole day. And this was a power down, not a standby or hibernate.
When I came back that evening, powered on and opened up the browswer again, lastpass was logged in!
Something didn't stick. Is there a save settings or something?

We have 3 features around this today:

- An idle timeout in the plugin (which won't work if you shutdown the PC, or are not running the browser)
- Autologout on browser close (which only works if you close the browser)
- A LastPass.com website autologout (which only works if you're on the LastPass website and the PC is running)

It sounds like what you're expecting is to have your session killed after 30 mins no matter what -- which is somewhat problematic because we only communicate with the server rarely so it would only give you 30 minutes period ... This might be okay if we had a 'repeat after logging back in function' but until we do this would hurt (you'd go to save a site, it wouldn't save and the plugin would only then recognize that you're logged out...).

For now please use Auto-logout on browser close and we'll look into a way to kill the session (but only for the automatic login from browser startup after a certain period), and the 'repeat after logging back in' functionality.

Thanks,

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Postby Davesmithers » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:55 pm

Thanks, I understand now. I guess my expectation was set by Roboform. Autologout occurs whether the browser is open or closed, or the PC is on or off. But it appears they have a separate little toolbar application which helps keep time.
The concern about Lastpass autologout, of course, is that a user might think he's logged off because the PC is shut down, but if the PC is stolen, the thief could just power up, start the browser, and have access to everything.
I hope you can come up with an elegant way to resolve this.
Dave
Davesmithers

Postby JoeSiegrist » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:14 am

Davesmithers wrote:Thanks, I understand now. I guess my expectation was set by Roboform. Autologout occurs whether the browser is open or closed, or the PC is on or off. But it appears they have a separate little toolbar application which helps keep time.
The concern about Lastpass autologout, of course, is that a user might think he's logged off because the PC is shut down, but if the PC is stolen, the thief could just power up, start the browser, and have access to everything.
I hope you can come up with an elegant way to resolve this.
Dave

We finally came upon an elegant way to resolve this issue of idle based auto-logging out when the browser is closed. It'll mean that if you're not running the browser but are using the computer we assume you're idle and eventually log you off..... but we think this is more along the lines that people expect.

You can also use the 'Autologoff other session' account setting if your laptop gets stolen.

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Postby texnic » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:12 am

I think I am facing a similar problem, and what surprises me is that I don't think I had it until today. Anyway, since it's a security issue I'll post it now and then will keep an eye on it to see what happens.

With my Mac at home, I normally don't switch the computer off or logout—I just bring it to sleep with the power button when I leave. When I come back, I press the power button again and it switches on within seconds, connects to the internet and I can work again. What I don't want of course is that if someone else resumes my computer, he can access my LastPass database. I set "automatically logoff after idle" and "automatically logoff when all browsers are closed" to 10 minutes. And until today, I thought, LastPass was logging off after 10 minutes of inactivity, no matter which.

Today in the morning (so the computer was sleeping the whole night) when I switched it on the LastPass in the browser was logged in.

Is it a known bug or a feature, or something new?
texnic

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting