Can Not Disable Multifactor Authentication

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Can Not Disable Multifactor Authentication

Postby gmt » Sun May 13, 2018 7:38 pm

I have installed Lastpass on a new cell phone (The phone is on Wifi for now, I have not installed a SIM in it yet); it seems to have been installed OK and I can log into Lastpass with the master password but have been unable to authenticate it with the 2nd factor authentication. I get a multifactor prompt but whatever I type in doesn't work. I don’t know what code it wants me to type into the line. I don't receive a Lastpass authenticator prompt on my active cellphone's Lastpass Authenticator app,or Google Authenticator App (also authorized under Lastpass 2 Factor), either. However, there is a link “Send SMS passcodes” on the new phone; I click that link, it sends a text message to my old cell phone on my account phone number XXX-XXX-XXXX (the one that is still active) which includes a pass code; however, it is also rejected by Lastpass on the new phone.

I’ve tried to disable multi factor authentication. To do this, I’ve logged into my Lastpass account on the new cell phone and when it prompts for the multifactor I click “Cancel”. I’m then prompted to "disable multifactor?". When I click “Yes”, it prompts to send me an email on my “Alternate Security Email Address”. The message says "Lastpass Disable Multi Factor Authentication Request" "Hi, You recently requested that we disable Multifactor authentication for your Lastpass account. To do so click on the below link or manually copy the URL to your browser: (a link follows... "https://lastpass.com/s/......") The above link will stop working in 2 hours - To re-enable multifactor authentication go to the Account Settings from your Last Pass Vault. THIS IS FOLLOWED BY.....

"An error occurred. Multifactor cannot be disabled at this time. If you continue to have issues please contact us for assistance at support@lastpass.com and provide a screenshot of the below error information. Error Information: UID=unknown.

How can I disable multifactor or at least get Lastpass to authenticate using multifactor on the new phone? Your help will be appreciated.
gmt

Re: Can Not Disable Multifactor Authentication

Postby FlyingHawk » Sun May 13, 2018 10:26 pm

This is a bug in their system, as reported by many users. Currently you have to go through support to have your MFA manually disabled, which takes days.
FlyingHawk

Postby gmt » Sun May 13, 2018 11:56 pm

Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate it.
gmt

Postby gmt » Wed May 16, 2018 8:44 am

I still have not received support for disabling MFA; tech support is very poor
gmt

Postby Fu » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:10 pm

I hit this Thursday evening, emailed support Friday morning, and am still waiting. So glad I pay the extra for Premium and the "priority tech support". Nothing says customer love like having to wait several days to get service restored due to a bug that they've know about for months and months now.
Fu

Postby hyunsyng716 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:21 am

Good to know there's a problem with this that they will not fix. It's currently December, and I am running into the same problem. Once I get it fixed, I'm going to move to Dashlane. I've encountered many other issues with this services that have never gotten fixed. To other Lastpass users: move over to another service when you can. Lastpass is not reliable when you need to regain access due to a lost/broken phone. You will be without access for a long time.
hyunsyng716

Postby artsgirl » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:15 pm

In a moment of desperation after finding this thread, I refused to concede defeat and decided to try disabling MFA using Microsoft Edge.

And it worked.

After trying for an hour on Chrome and getting the results you all discuss here, and fearing I'd be stuck until I could get help from support, I tried Edge and was able to get MFA turned off.

Hope others have success.
artsgirl

Postby Mik » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:14 pm

hyunsyng716 Wrote:Good to know there's a problem with this that they will not fix. It's currently December, and I am running into the same problem.

March 2019 and I had the same issue!
To be fair the tech support promptly helped me. But only once I managed to open a ticket. Email and tweet didn't get their attention.
My advice is to open a ticket on their support page if you need help. Also DM on Twitter seem to get a quick answer.
Mik

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting