SMS goes to wrong text number

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

SMS goes to wrong text number

Postby kevinea705 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:00 am

When attempting to login to Lastpass on my iphone, I am asked for a sms code, but even after pressing, I don't get one. This morning I discovered they were going to my wife's phone! Not sure how that happened. I checked the recover number (on computer now) and it is my correct cell phone number. How do I fix this?
kevinea705

Re: SMS goes to wrong text number

Postby martin712 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:38 am

To anybody else having this issue: The fix is re-enabling LastPass Authenticator (LPA). Check it out here: https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=10282

You can get this behavior if you've gotten a new phone and you've set the back-up text messages to go to someone else's phone.
martin712

Postby LPuser6 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:28 pm

My LastPass verification occasionally goes to my sons cell phone. His phone is on a different carrier and not on any of my accounts.
LPuser6

Postby zooomer » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:20 am

I just had this happen to me. I got a new phone and when trying to setup it asked me to send SMS message to authorize setup. The SMS went to my wife's phone which I believe has it's own LP account - it is not tied to my LP account. Why would that happen? If she hadn't mentioned that she was getting all these "weird" text messages from LP, I would never have thought to check her phone for the authorization numbers.
Is there a way to prevent this in the future? Why didn't the SMS go to my phone?
zooomer

Postby jpenny84 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:32 am

zooomer Wrote:I just had this happen to me. I got a new phone and when trying to setup it asked me to send SMS message to authorize setup. The SMS went to my wife's phone which I believe has it's own LP account - it is not tied to my LP account. Why would that happen? If she hadn't mentioned that she was getting all these "weird" text messages from LP, I would never have thought to check her phone for the authorization numbers.
Is there a way to prevent this in the future? Why didn't the SMS go to my phone?

Disable LastPass Authenticatior in your two factor options, and set it up again under your phone, with the SMS backup going to your phone number. One would have to see the original backup configuration before speculating what happened.
jpenny84

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting