Binary extension fails on Safari

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Binary extension fails on Safari

Postby RadioGnome1971 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Today installing the binary extension for Safari failed for me. I can't get it to work.

Up till today I had the binary extension for LastPass installed on my OS-X - Safari setup. Thinking there might be an update by now, I downloaded a new installer, and installed the plugin. Since then I appear not to have the binary extensions installed according to Safari.

After some reading I did the following a couple of times:
Revert /Library/Internet Plug-Ins from TimeMachine (old plugin was 1,1 mb compared to 339 kb for new one)
Remove LastPass app to trash, deinstall last-pass with deinstaller (new one and the previous one from some months ago), clear browser cache, clear cookies, reboot
This several times, each time befor doing the following procedures
- Install from the universal installer --> No lastPass in the browser (but plugin in /Library/etc...) ---> Installer redirects to the Apple extension site --> installing this yields the non-binary plugin.
- Install plugin from Apple Safari extensions. Click on the install-binaries button in the 'about Lastpass' and follow procedures
- Install everything, and revert to the old plugin with Time Machine.

All with no succes... The binary functionality of the plugin still fails.

When I successfully installed the binary plugin some months ago, I did not have the LastPass app from the Appstore. I installed this afterwards, and the binary extension kept on being binary. Could it be, there is still some stuff left around from the LastPass app, inhibiting the binary plugin install or Safari 'seeing' it?

Kind regards,

Martin
RadioGnome1971

Re: Binary extension fails on Safari

Postby TomGuy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:21 pm

I have the same problem. And apparently without the binary you cannot tell LastPass to logoff after a stated period of inactivity.
TomGuy

Postby anthonygill2529 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:14 pm

I have the same problem. I also have the LastPass App installed on my OS X. I'm a new user and I thought it was just me. I ended up downloading and installing the browser plug ins three times but still not able to attach notes to Secure Notes.
anthonygill2529

Postby themgt » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:47 pm

Same issue for me.
themgt

Postby maxine2002197 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:26 pm

Also having the same issue. No problem with Firefox. Chrome worked after I accessed More Options/About LastPass and turned on Native Messaging) as suggested elsewhere.
maxine2002197

Postby maxine2002197 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:42 pm

Sorry. In Chrome I can view but not add attachments. I cannot view attachments in Safari. I can add and view attachments in Firefox. All browsers are latest versions. I am running High Sierra.
maxine2002197

Postby timmepfeife » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:53 am

I have the same problem. the binary extension does not fork for Safari and Chrome. I'm on macOS High Sierra 10.13.2.
timmepfeife

Postby stephenhouser687 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:25 pm

I added 'LastPassHelper.app' (from the App Store version) to my login items (in system preferences) and it seems to be working properly. The helper app was at '~/Library/Containers/com.lastpass.LastPass/Data/Library/Application Support/LastPass/LastPassHelper.app'

Version: 4.1.61.123
Built: Mon Aug 28 2017 16:06:55 GMT-0400 (EDT)
Binary Component: true (Helper App)
stephenhouser687

Postby RadioGnome1971 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:16 pm

stephenhouser687 Wrote:I added 'LastPassHelper.app' (from the App Store version) to my login items (in system preferences) and it seems to be working properly. The helper app was at '~/Library/Containers/com.lastpass.LastPass/Data/Library/Application Support/LastPass/LastPassHelper.app'

Version: 4.1.61.123
Built: Mon Aug 28 2017 16:06:55 GMT-0400 (EDT)
Binary Component: true (Helper App)

Thanks.... that did the trick. It also seems logical to have the LastPass app be the binary part.
Wonder if it should have been started by some Launchectl script which is not allowed from the app-store....
At least there seems some documentation missing.
RadioGnome1971

Postby wezman2k » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:34 pm

Adding this app to login items also worked for me. I didn't notice for the longest time because I don't normally use Safari but I was helping a family member who does get Lastpass set up. Very frustrating for a bit.
wezman2k

Next

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting