LastPass Logs out EVERY time I close Firefox

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: LastPass Logs out EVERY time I close Firefox

Postby trilogias439 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:45 pm

It is desperate. I have the same problem for a month. Every time I close firefox lastpass logg out.

At least it was fixed with the last update that does not open my vault
trilogias439

Postby victor676 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:50 am

This isssue is going on for quite a while and is quite frustrating to have to deal with it. After months of denying the problem, finally I got a reply on the ticket opened on this subject that they could replicate the issue and that devs are investigating but there is no ETA for a fix.
victor676

Postby ikjadoon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:24 pm

jpenny84 Wrote:
ikjadoon Wrote:You've misread that completely: I choose to log back in every time I notice I'm logged out, but others simply do not notice LP has logged out or do not care LP has logged out (because most websites retain cookies and you don't need to repeatedly log in, i.e., use LP). If you only login once after a logout, then you would only be "logged out once a day".

There has been a high number of reports that began around August 2017, which exactly coincides with my timeline. Maybe you are not well-versed in the community postings on this issue, so I've compiled them:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=267945
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=267985
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1199086
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... e_firefox/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Lastpass/comme ... hem_a_lot/
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=292265
https://www.reddit.com/r/Lastpass/comme ... _password/

The very thread you have stumbled upon was started in October 2017.

I have been an unpaid contributor on this support forum for over six years, with over three of them being a moderator, which means that in part that I approve items in the moderation queue. I can tell you from experience that If there is a "widespread bug" with a LastPass browser extension, people flood this place to report it. Occasional reports over the course of several months contradict your assertion that random session terminations are a "widespread bug."

The fact that you state the behavior goes away with a new profile, but appears after adding on third party items seems to suggest that you need to test LastPass against those components.

While you have sacrificed to support this free community, it may be that other channels like reddit and support.mozilla.org are also important resources to gauge whether LP has an issue: I daresay many users may not realize that LastPass has independent forums and had confidence their solution could be adequately addressed there (as they seemingly don't have LP issues with other browsers, mistakenly thinking all extensions are identical between browsers, so it "must be a problem from Firefox").

Incorrect on the add-ons, Jenny. You may be confusing this thread with another. This issue, at least in my case, appears with or without other add-ons. I can remove every other Firefox add-on and the issue is perfectly reproducible: I recorded a video of this entire process and sent it to LastPass in the *first message* of my ticket. I can start a new profile with only LastPass and soon that install too becomes corrupted. No other extensions are required to reproduce the problem. Believe me, this was the first thing I tried nearly 10 months ago. I'll give up any extension in a heartbeat that is causing this problem and I've tried; I can remove every one and it'll still log me out upon restarting.

victor676 Wrote:This isssue is going on for quite a while and is quite frustrating to have to deal with it. After months of denying the problem, finally I got a reply on the ticket opened on this subject that they could replicate the issue and that devs are investigating but there is no ETA for a fix.

Did they share the specific bug that was causing the issue? LastPass also told me something similar...in April 2018:

Hi there,

You've reached LastPass Support! We’d be glad to assist you accordingly.

Upon checking, there is currently an ongoing report about this issue. We have yet to see any further resolution from the Development / technical team. But rest assured that they are doing their best to resolve this issue the soonest possible time. I will add your occurrence to the internal report, so our Development team will be alerted and to add severity to the ongoing issue.

Fast forward to August 2018. I pray they have better/more detailed information in your ticket.

For what it's worth, I have been moved from Level 1 Support (April 3rd to 8th) to Level 2 Support (April 9th to May 1st) to now Level 3 Support (May 2nd to August 14th, today). We've covered proxies (none), Firefox Refresh and Reset (if the old profile is retained: bug; if new profile: no bug), cookies (enabled), extension data folders (didn't matter), Firefox cache (didn't matter), different Firefox versions (didn't matter), different LastPass extension versions (didn't matter), no LP binary vs LP binary (didn't matter), console logs, LastPass logs, sharing keys, the various errors, LP session IDs (often different, but not always) etc.

And the craziest part is that I can reproduce it on both systems I use. I've sent new logs, again, today as requested, but they just haven't been able to do much of anything with the old logs, so I'm not optimistic, but we'll see. I'm ready to end this nearly one-year-long frustration.
ikjadoon

Postby David206 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Maybe, and this is just a guess, mind you, maybe when LogMeIn purchased LastPass they fired all the engineers who had been working on it. Maybe, just maybe, there is just one engineer working on LastPass, and he or she is a LogMeIn employee who knows some c and HTML but doesn't really want to learn about the internals of LastPass (they are probably pretty boring and messy). Think about it. This is the perfect explanation for why they are ALWAYS (rest assured) doing their VERY best to resolve this issue in the SOONEST possible time.
David206

Postby ikjadoon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:08 pm

I wanted to compile all the threads that have brought up similar issues, some with workarounds and some without. I can't believe there are so many dead threads about ONE issue (Firefox and LastPass = cannot stay logged in):

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=275045 (this thread) = 18 users
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=267945 = 7 more users
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=267985 = 4 more users
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1199086 = 1 more user
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/73mq13/lastpass_logs_out_after_i_close_firefox/ = 1 more user
https://www.reddit.com/r/Lastpass/comme ... hem_a_lot/ = 4 more users
https://www.reddit.com/r/Lastpass/comments/6xe6u6/firefox_not_remembering_master_password/ = 4 more users
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=292265 = 5 more users
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=304745 = 2 more users
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=280975 = 7 more users
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=308345 = 1 more user
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=302855 = 5 more users
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=303815 = 2 more users
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=280115 = 5 more users
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=293955 = 5 more users
https://forums.lastpass.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=297935 = 1 more user
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=297875 = 1 more user
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=292745 = 2 more users

That's 75 users I found within 10 minutes of searching. Seventy-five users. Holy. Batman. This is a blindingly common bug. 75 users who 1) had the problem so frequently it frustrated them, 2) knew LP Forums existed, and 3) took the time to write a post all about the exact same bug?

Jenny, it may be that many users also immediately uninstall LastPass after no resolutions. This is insane.
ikjadoon

Postby ikjadoon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:14 pm

David206 Wrote:Maybe, and this is just a guess, mind you, maybe when LogMeIn purchased LastPass they fired all the engineers who had been working on it. Maybe, just maybe, there is just one engineer working on LastPass, and he or she is a LogMeIn employee who knows some c and HTML but doesn't really want to learn about the internals of LastPass (they are probably pretty boring and messy). Think about it. This is the perfect explanation for why they are ALWAYS (rest assured) doing their VERY best to resolve this issue in the SOONEST possible time.

I laughed heartily, especially at that last line. Thank you for the humor, David.

I sincerely believe LP is coasting on old momentum from the early 2010s. There is no way LastPass has been sufficiently refactored to any level of quality relevant in the year 2018 (and that isn't even saying much).
ikjadoon

Postby victor676 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:48 pm

This is the reply I got:
"Our team was able to replicate this issue on our end, so a report was submitted to our devs and an investigation into the matter is at hand. You may keep track of our timely extension updates here https://lastpass.com/upgrade.php?fromwe ... asenotes=1. The dev team has not shared an ETA for a fix. Our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. "
victor676

Postby ikjadoon » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:22 pm

victor676 Wrote:This is the reply I got:
"Our team was able to replicate this issue on our end, so a report was submitted to our devs and an investigation into the matter is at hand. You may keep track of our timely extension updates here https://lastpass.com/upgrade.php?fromwe ... asenotes=1. The dev team has not shared an ETA for a fix. Our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. "

Thank you for the update, victor. I hope it gets fixed ASAP; it's such a frustrating bug. Hopefully, that bug fix kills this issue for the time being.

On my ticket this afternoon, we've moved through a few more steps after they looked at my latest logs: after removing 2FA from my LastPass account (user-side, in the LP Options), deactivating 2FA from LastPass administratively (server-side; they did this for me), wiping Firefox's cache and cookies, uninstalling and reinstalling the browser extension, then re-activating 2FA server side, and then re-activating 2FA user side, and then finally also uninstalling the binary component, LastPass has been now continually logged in for about 15 restarts of Firefox. We tried most of these steps independently without any luck whatsoever, but doing them all together, somehow, it's clicked.

The next step is attempting to make the binary component work with 2FA, what seems like the deadly combo?

Are you all using 2FA and the binary component? The binary allows you to copy-paste passwords with a single click; you can check whether you installed it (via the "Lastpass Universall Installer") by clicking the LP extension icon -> More Options -> About LastPass.

https://i.imgur.com/jC7CK4z.png

Uninstalling it alone did nothing for me, though. I hope they can push out that bugfix ASAP so nobody has to suffer through the ~30-minute ordeal of removing and re-adding everything back. And, by Moses, this fix is hopefully permanent and won't re-appear like it does w/ new Firefox profiles in 4-6 weeks.
ikjadoon

Postby ikjadoon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Huge news! The 2FA deactivation on both ends + reactivation on both ends seems to have done the trick. I've now been able to install the binary component and LastPass has not logged me out of Firefox for at least 10+ restart attempts.

I will see how it fared on my laptop: will I need to re-do all the steps OR was it purely a LastPass server reset that was required and now all my accounts should remain logged into Firefox?

I will keep everyone updated and have requested how they plan to implement this fix or if users will need to all separately contact LastPass customer service to reset 2FA on LP's servers.
ikjadoon

Postby David206 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:13 pm

I never turned on Two-Factor Authentication. Too many reports of poor security. Does that mean that my autologout of LP is caused by something else?
David206

PreviousNext

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting