Export not working

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Export not working

Postby dan999 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:38 am

Hi,

I've used the export CSV function several times in the past, but it is not working (at least for me) at this time. Running Firefox 52.3.0 with LastPass 4.1.62 (Binary component is installed). When I click the export option, LastPass does not prompt for file name/location and undertakes no further action. It does not hang, it just seems to be doing nothing. Same thing happens if I try to save an encrypted file. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
dan999

Re: Export not working

Postby dan999 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:19 am

Further info ... got export to work with Chrome so urgency not an issue. But would be nice to understand Firefox problem. Thanks.
dan999

Postby mike808137 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:09 pm

I use FF 54.0.1 (32-bit) on Win10 build 15063 and LP 4.1.62 (w/ binary)
Code: Select All Code
Version: 4.1.62
Built: Tue Aug 08 2017 18:59:40 GMT-0400 (EDT)
Binary Component: true (ctypes version 4.1.2, built Mar 2 2016 16:09:16)

Same thing. Export does not work. This is critical basic functionality here, Team LastPass!

I export my vault regularly for an offline backup (stored on an encrypted TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt thumb drive).
I do not use Chrome, and I should not have to install (or use) some other browser in order to have a working, functioning LastPass.
If you say it works in FF, then it should be supported and ... you know, ... actually work.
mike808137

Postby mike808137 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:59 pm

With the release of FF 55.0.2, all prior plugins/extensions are DISABLED by default and they are moving to a new extension framework.
Hoping this functionality gets a) fixed, and b) the new LP plugin/extension for FF is available.

Not working in FF 55.0.2, LastPass Extension: Version: 4.1.62, Built: Tue Aug 08 2017 18:59:40 GMT-0400 (EDT)
Binary Component: true (ctypes version 4.1.2, built Mar 2 2016 16:09:16)

Also, exporting using Edge dumps the CSV vault to the screen as a new page, and there isn't a good way to perform a "save page as file" in Edge. I have to create a new empty file, open the file in an editor, select all text in the Edge browser page, copy, and then paste it into the editor where I'm editing my new text file. Thus, leaving my entire vault unencrypted and stored in the Edge browser's cache, my clipboard cache, and the file editor's cache. Really not cool, LastPass.

Bugs and defects are not "accidents". The code doesn't write itself. How many people wrote, reviewed, and tested and evaluated this steaming pile of effluvia where functionality that used to work now doesn't? Someone wrote code that broke this. Someone didn't test that code. Someone decided to release it anyway. Please stop using the Jackson Pollack software development methodology.
mike808137

Postby 3dc6500 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:42 pm

I like to export encrypted LP database.
It is not working on Chrome, FireFox and IE on Windows 10. I Use 2fa.
I have try to uninstall lastpass from all browsers and install latest version lastpass_x64.exe.

Chrome do not show the the option export of encrypted file, only cvs and form fills. And I have instilled the bin version.
IE and FF have the menu option but: When click "Lastpass encrypted file" and key in MPwd and click on continue the windows just close. No info about where the file is saved. No folder selection dialog.

Lastpass can use robot test software before release.
3dc6500

Postby mike808137 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:32 pm

@3dc6500 - Do as I do - format a thumb drive (e.g. Drive F), put TrueCrypt (or VeraCrypt) (portable version) on it. Create an encrypted drive (file) on the thumb drive. Call it something like 'LastPass Vault Backups.tc'. Mount the encrypted drive file (Drive Z). Then export your vault as a CSV into a file saved on the encrypted drive file (Drive Z). Call it something like 'LastPass Vault Backup YYYY-MM-DD.csv'. Use YYYY-MM-DD for the date and it will sort in date order automatically. The bottom one is the most recent backup.

I have mine on an old 256MB thumb drive. It is for emergency offline access. I have an instruction letter to go with it so my survivors can pop it into a PC and have acess to my online world in the LastPass vault. Then make copies and give to relatives/bank deposit box/lawyer.

Make backups every now and then (whenever you add/change passwords or stuff in your vault) and then once a year I update the copies and swap with the relatives/bank deposit box/lawyer. I also put in a plain text file my LastPass vault's Master Password, and put that file on the encrypted LastPass Vault drive (Drive Z).

Then when you shutdown or unmount the TrueCrypt/VeraCrypt drive (Z:), it's all secure on the thumb drive. You'll have to remember the password to the TrueCrypt drive you just created. And you'll need to give it to everyone that will need to access your encrypted drive if something happens to you. You could use "split knowledge" where one relative has the thumb drive and another has the password, so both are needed to recover your LastPass Vault, or, because you put your Master Password on the encrypted drive, they can just login to your vault and get them all directly. Or use the CSV file.

FYI - Excel does a craptacularly terrible job at importing these CSV files, particularly any with multi-line notes fields and any secure notes entries.
mike808137

Postby 3dc6500 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Thx.
The attachment is not exported to the CSV but can be copy manually to the TC/VC container.
The free version of LP have Emergency Access that give LP access to relative. Very usefully.
3dc6500

Postby 3dc6500 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:00 pm

The "LastPass Pocket" export the encrypted wallet. https://lastpass.com/misc_download2.php
But where is the attachment?
When I open a secure note that have attachment - no attachment is listed. Only the note...
The problem is that the user believe the have access to the wallet but the only have access to a part.
I open another bug rapport.
3dc6500

Postby mmhmjanssen533 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:12 pm

Same thing here with the latest FF version (53.0.3) en LP plugin 4.1.62a. Both exports start asking for the master key and after entering the correct key, nothing happens. No message saying whether or not the export was succesful / failed.
mmhmjanssen533

Postby bobsmn881 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:30 pm

I'm using Firefox 55.0.3 and export is no longer working. Just takes my password and shows the same screen again. Used to work fine.
bobsmn881

Next

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting