No "Copy Password" option in LastPass extension for Safari

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

No "Copy Password" option in LastPass extension for Safari

Postby typh » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi folks. I have been having this issue where the LastPass extension in Safari did not have the "Copy Password" and other advanced options when looking at a site entry. Supposedly installing the binary version would provide these functions, but even then they did not show up. With some research I found that the LastPassHelper app provides these options, and since it was not starting properly with the system, they were not available. The workaround was to start the helper app manually before running Safari.

After doing some investigation I found that the binary installer includes a launch agent that should be starting the helper app. However, the plist file that defines the launch agent has an incorrect path. After changing the path from "REPLACE_HOME" to "/Users/<username>" the launch agent started working at boot again.

I took a few screenshots and put them in an imgur album here. I assume that the "REPLACE_HOME" bit of the string would be replaced by the installer, and it just needs to be fixed. ;)
http://imgur.com/gallery/40dv9
typh

Re: No "Copy Password" option in LastPass extension for Safa

Postby jh4848 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Thanks for this!
jh4848

Postby jacknimble » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:01 pm

Thank you! Months waiting for a fix from LP. This problem really cramped me on my new MBP. Unbelievable that LP people are not fixing this.

Oh, by default, the "Library" folder is hidden from Finder view inside the User folder, so you will have to check "Library" under View, Show View Options in Finder.
jacknimble

Postby jh4848 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:50 pm

For those who want to try this solution:
0. Have installed the LastPass Safari extension (Safari→Safari Extensions ...) and binary extension (LastPass safari button→More Options→About LastPass→Install binary extension; run installer)
1. Open Terminal (Applications→Utilities→Terminal)
2. Paste the following line exactly as written, and hit return:
sed -i -e 's@REPLACE_HOME@'"$HOME"'@' ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.lastpass.LastPassHelper.plist
3. Restart your Mac
jh4848

Postby calcio109 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:39 am

the file is locked and permission to edit it either manually or via the terminal is denied.... suggestions?
calcio109

Postby jacknimble » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:44 am

There is probably a bunch of different ways to do it, but I just saved it as a duplicate, then deleted the original, then renamed the duplicate to the original file name. Remember to close the original file first.
jacknimble

Postby calcio109 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:26 pm

iOS user for years now but new to macOS and so have no idea how to get around issues like these. that worked though, thank you
calcio109

Postby nixumecirfrie » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:48 am

I actually can't even find that file, it's not on my laptop. What is the LastPass Helper app exactly?
nixumecirfrie

Postby typh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:41 pm

It's located at ~/Library/Application Support/LastPass/LastPassHelper.app
You'll need to have run the binary installer as jh4848 mentions above.
typh

LastPassHelper app does not auto start on macOS

Postby typh » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:49 pm

I've found an issue where the LaunchAgent installed by the binary installer on macOS has an incorrect path to the LastPassHelper app. This causes the LaunchAgent to fail starting the helper app, and so options like "Copy Password" are missing from the LastPass menu in Safari (as well as all other binary features that require the helper). By editing the plist and correcting the path, the agent will start the helper as expected next boot.

I had started a thread in general troubleshooting to help folks fix it, but realized that I didn't formally report it. It seems to be a fairly easy fix (the installer isn't replacing the REPLACE_HOME variable in the path written in the plist).

My original thread is here: viewtopic.php?t=237785
typh

Next

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting