LastPass not saving generated passwords

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: LastPass not saving generated passwords

Postby MaxH42 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:38 am

I just opened a ticket on this, because when I use the Generate Password icon in the form fill field, I do not get a "Use Password" button, I only get a "Fill" button (see image below), which I just found out does not save the password, so I had to generate a whole new one, click "Copy" first, then click "Fill", click the LastPass browser extension icon, click "Show Matching Sites" (despite having that option checked in Preferences, which is a whole other issue), click the wrench for the entry for that site that I was using at the time, click "Edit", then paste the new password over the old one, then click "Save". Then I had to go back and click Save on the actual website to update it to the new password.

So yes, this is a big deal that it isn't automatically saving or recognizing new passwords any longer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wrfc42f9cjjq ... .24.31.jpg
MaxH42

Postby MaxH42 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:07 am

I did receive a response to my ticket (I'll skip the useless boilerplate "clear cache, reinstall" script they sent me first):

Hello there,

We're very sorry for the inconveniences.

The issue with the password generator NOT saving a copy in your vault is a known-issue which has been escalated to our dev team. While I am unable to provide an estimated turn-around time, please rest assured that this will be fixed as soon as possible. For the time-being, please see this example screenshot http://prntscr.com/e78pn2 when you use the password generator tool, click on the 'More Options'.

Let us know if you require any assistance. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences caused.

So at least they recognize it as a bug, and they're working on it.
MaxH42

Postby david768 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:44 am

I just encountered this exact problem yesterday when registering on a new site - as described by MaxH42, clicked the generate icon, only option presented is "Fill", then nothing gets saved. This is so brain-dead, and saying "read the manual" defeats the whole point of using a tool which is meant to make things easier. Registering a new id is not something that most people do very often, so it needs to be intuitive and bullet proof. I don't want to have to worry about "has it filled in what I generated, have I remembered to copy it to the clipboard just in case, have I pasted it somewhere else in case the clipboard gets cleared, etc.etc.". Glad to see they are working on fixing it, I hope the fix works sensibly. Please let us know MaxH42 when you get an update.
david768

Postby Tobit » Fri May 05, 2017 4:15 pm

It simply boggles the mind that this "bug" could exist in the released software. If there is ONE THING you want your password manager to do, it is to SAVE YOUR PASSWORDS. If it's not doing that, it doesn't matter what other bells and whistles it has, it has become effectively useless.
Tobit

Postby Tobit » Fri May 05, 2017 6:59 pm

MaxH42 Wrote:I did receive a response to my ticket (I'll skip the useless boilerplate "clear cache, reinstall" script they sent me first):

Hello there,

We're very sorry for the inconveniences.

The issue with the password generator NOT saving a copy in your vault is a known-issue which has been escalated to our dev team. While I am unable to provide an estimated turn-around time, please rest assured that this will be fixed as soon as possible. For the time-being, please see this example screenshot http://prntscr.com/e78pn2 when you use the password generator tool, click on the 'More Options'.

Let us know if you require any assistance. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences caused.

So at least they recognize it as a bug, and they're working on it.

It seems that the LastPass employees don't even know internally whether this is by design or not. I filed a ticked and got this reply from Jose:

LastPass does not save an entry inside of the Vault called "Generated password for..." any more, the generated password is still saved, but in a new location. Generated Passwords can be found by going to the LastPass extension > Generated Passwords > Click the down arrow. This will show all generated passwords from the current session. This is the ONLY place where you can find a backup if for some reason LastPass does not save the site automatically.

I have created a request ticket to revert the old version but I cannot give you a gurantee if it will be considered in the future.

I hate to say it but I too think it's time to start exploring alternatives.
Tobit

Postby hazardmonkey43 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:40 pm

Been happening to me lately as well. I may cancel my subscription.
hazardmonkey43

Postby swnm » Mon May 08, 2017 5:54 pm

I just got bit by this today. LastPass has had occasional annoying "did not save password" or "did not keep track of which password got accepted by the site" issues for years, but I have always been able to work around them by stashing a copy in a text editor while I verify that all the fields got captured correctly. The dropbox link MaxH42 posted above shows the dialog with the problem (no "copy password" link) that can not be worked around. The other "generate password" dialogs I have seen do include the "copy password" link.

This has way too many bugs for for a .49 release IMO. It's eating my afternoon.
swnm

Postby someguy857 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:32 am

This is ridiculous, Lastpass used to always save a generated password for site.com in my vault. it hasnt in about a year and it keeps causing me issues. At least give us the ability to turn the old way back on!!!!!!!!
someguy857

Postby squeedle » Mon May 29, 2017 1:30 pm

Same thing here, getting really sick of this happening.
squeedle

Postby Snobben » Wed May 31, 2017 3:56 am

Any update from Lastpass on this issue? A temporary storage with generated password would be great. Maybe it could last for 24 hours or even less.
Snobben

PreviousNext

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting