LastPass not saving generated passwords

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: LastPass not saving generated passwords

Postby EhsanKia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Yep, it's been happening to me for months. I've gotten bit by it at least 10 times by now. At this point I just manually copy the generated password and paste it in a corner, wait for the thing to be finished, and manually add the site... Really annoying. Do LastPass devs even look at the forums?
EhsanKia

Postby SandyLP » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:17 pm

This problem does exists.. Specially in cases where you are required to enter the password twice, it will only enter once..
I have to copy the password to clipboard many times.
SandyLP

Copy & Paste Passwords

Postby rebbusiness883 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:42 am

When I generate new password the generated password won't copy and paste so I'm having to enter by hand. This problems has only arisen following an install into IE but is now the same with Chrome. :?:
rebbusiness883

Postby rscholl832 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:49 pm

This is absolutely an issue. I just lost another generated password. I'm at the beginning stages of looking for a different program.
rscholl832

Postby massword » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Cross-posting what I said in the other forum thread about the same topic:

Update: I opened a support ticket about this. Although Lastpass was annoyingly vague in their response, I got the impression that generated passwords never save to the vault anymore, even if they end up "unmatched" to a website. Which, of course, is the whole reason one needs them saved -- when Lastpass generates the password but misses the "password created/changed" event and you end up with a changed password that you have no record of. However they did inform me of something that in a million years I would have never noticed: in the Generate Password dialog there is a little arrow key that will show recently generated passwords. I'm pretty sure that these don't go to the cloud and only survive until the browser quits. But better than nothing. Screenshot of what I'm talking about:
http://oi64.tinypic.com/25sudte.jpg

Ugh, I don't get why they got rid of saving these to the vault. Anyone from Lastpass listening?
massword

Re: Copy & Paste Passwords

Postby massword » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:57 pm

Lastpass tries to prevent copied passwords from sticking around in the clipboard for more than one paste event so that a malicious "clipboard listening" application can't vacuum up passwords as easily. In my experience the copied password often doesn't even last long enough for a single paste. To be fair, it's better if generated passwords never end up in the clipboard out of an abundance of caution, but yes this is very annoying. Typically what you want to do is just click "Use Password" and it should auto-fill into the appropriate field(s) without ever saving the password to the clipboard. When this doesn't work you need to find the password it generated. See what I just posted in another thread for a way to do this:

https://forums.lastpass.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=222985&start=30#p840835
massword

Re: Copy & Paste Passwords

Postby jonat » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Also, I have encountered some sites that won't allow a right-click paste but will support Ctrl-V.
jonat

Postby d3763 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:10 pm

I've been tolerating this issue for weeks. Now that Show Matching Sites stopped working I decided to check the forums and find out it is by design? Would have been nice to know this. They used to just save an entry for the site as "Generated Password" and they don't do that either. Very annoying.
d3763

Postby jdm735 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:09 am

I just had this problem with a site signup.

Lastpass used to save all generated passwords in the vault under a "Generated passwords" folder. Now that feature appears to be gone. This at least provided a way to retrieve a generated password that was not properly associated with a site by Lastpass. Or is this now a premium feature?
jdm735

Postby jonat » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:12 pm

It is not a premium or any other level feature at this time. If you still have a current session, you can go back to the Generate Secure Password dialog and click the black triangle next to the current generated password - it will then show you passwords generated previously in this session. Not the ideal situation, but better than nothing.
jonat

PreviousNext

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting