LastPass not saving generated passwords

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Re: LastPass not saving generated passwords

Postby greg1mar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:04 pm

This keeps getting posted as a solution and it's still wrong. Despite keeping a list og generated passwords (always incomplete or empty for me), the problem is that it doesn't save the website & password when you click "use password" as it's supposed to. Posting a workaround, that doesn't work many times, is not addressing the root cause. I want to know if 'not saving the site/pwd' is the intended behavior. If so, it's not reasonable. If not, it needs fixing.
greg1mar

Postby drouze747 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:54 am

FlyingHawk, you are dead wrong. Did you miss the part where it only saves a history for the current session? I stupidly assumed that LP had saved my Google password yesteday. i logged out and today I cant get in. This is beyond retarded. I have no words for how lame this is and reading all these posts for two years I am utterly disgusted with this company. Goodby LastPass
drouze747

Postby wevans411 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:15 am

Yep. Still happening. It's ridiculous!

After years of this happening, I now know that I have COPY the password that is generated. Then, I Log Out of that website.Then, log back in and then usually it will prompt me to save the new password.

But, today, I accidentally copied another field before logging in again and I lost the generated password. I had logged out, though. At that point, I couldn't log in. And, that Online Meeting website has a security policy that prevents changing the password twice in 24 hours. I was locked out of the site and couldn't start the meeting.
wevans411

Postby FlyingHawk » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:51 pm

drouze747 Wrote:FlyingHawk, you are dead wrong. Did you miss the part where it only saves a history for the current session? I stupidly assumed that LP had saved my Google password yesteday. i logged out and today I cant get in. This is beyond retarded. I have no words for how lame this is and reading all these posts for two years I am utterly disgusted with this company. Goodby LastPass

Good for you to shout down a good tip from another user.
The vast majority of use cases are within one session. Mostly, people missed their generated password when setting up or changing passwords, and want to immediately check what that password was, but don't know where to check. My post is a perfectly valid solution to this kind of problem.

wevans411 Wrote:Yep. Still happening. It's ridiculous!

After years of this happening, I now know that I have COPY the password that is generated. Then, I Log Out of that website.Then, log back in and then usually it will prompt me to save the new password.

But, today, I accidentally copied another field before logging in again and I lost the generated password. I had logged out, though. At that point, I couldn't log in. And, that Online Meeting website has a security policy that prevents changing the password twice in 24 hours. I was locked out of the site and couldn't start the meeting.

You can still find the generated password. See FAQ:
https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=7356

LastPass isn't meant to store all generated passwords in your vault. It used to, but now the design has changed.
FlyingHawk

Postby longtimeuser626 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:00 pm

So I've permanently lost access to a few sites lately because of this problem. So I come here and find out that it has been reported for TWO YEARS!!!

I've been using this product since the beginning and this is totally unacceptable. The current process is broken, stupid, nonsensical and infuriating.

It is especially ridiculous that people have been complaining for two years.

I will be switching to a competitor. This is ridiculous for a dev team to ignore a problem this long.
longtimeuser626

Postby didierbergeron830 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Got the same problem right now.
Google account is blocked. Hopefully not forever but I am gonna lose a lot of time and work.
This is unacceptable.
didierbergeron830

Postby flashman007 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:49 pm

I'm with the folks who think this is unacceptable. I don't click the "Use Password" button because for a number of years, depending on whether I was using a Mac or a PC, LP would use the password once, to log in, but would fail to offer to save it. I understand that this feature has been improved lately, but i'm used to copying and pasting the password to make sure I have it on the clipboard. Now LP is saying "read the manual -- you have to click the button in order to save the password." Maybe, but the fact is that LP used to save ALL generated passwords so they could be retrieved, and now that feature has been cut or sharply curtailed. Why get rid of a feature that has already been coded and that people use?
flashman007

Postby FlyingHawk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:12 am

flashman007 Wrote:Why get rid of a feature that has already been coded and that people use?

Probably because at the same time there are other people who don't use this feature and find the large number of "generated passwords" in their vaults annoying.

Passwords generated in the same session can always be found within the generator itself:
https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=7356
FlyingHawk

Postby gs310858 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:36 am

I just want to note that the workaround, clicking the arrow for a drop-down list of passwords generated in the current session, is not available on iOS (at least whatever version I have now, 11?) plus the "Save Generated Password" button _doesn't actually save anything_, so I have to copy/paste any generated password, and manually create a new site login.
gs310858

Postby strophy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:11 am

Created an account just so I could complain about this. I've been using Lastpass for years and the number of times I've had to click "Forget password" right after Lastpass ostensibly generated, filled and saved a password is insane. Hours wasted.
strophy

PreviousNext

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting