LastPass not saving generated passwords

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

LastPass not saving generated passwords

Postby mdesq » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:35 pm

I've read every message I could find about this over the last month or so and figured I just must need to find a better workflow, but this has finally gotten to me to the point that I'm ready to find something else.

Here's one workflow of many that has caused me great anguish and is terrifying enough not to be able to recommend LP to anyone who's not super technology savvy. (I'm on Chrome, BTW):
1. Goto a new website to sign up
2. When encountering the password field, right-click and use LP to generate a secure password. Click "copy" on the "generate password" dialog to copy to your clipboard. Note that the "generate password" window closes.
3. Get access to this new app you signed up for.
4. Inside the new app, it wants to link to some other app you use (let's say Gmail) that needs a special app password for access.
5. Go generate that (copy/paste the app password)
6. Realize you no longer have any idea what the password was you generated in step 2 above. (don't tell me it's saved in my vault...it's not or it's unfindable)

A person copying the generated password clearly *intends* to use it! Stop deleting it just because it gets copied to the clipboard.
mdesq

Re: LastPass not saving generated passwords

Postby jpenny84 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:38 pm

The correct action for LastPass to accept a generated password for a new or existing entry is to click the red "Use Password" button. The procedure to change passwords in LastPass can be found below:

https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/generating-a-password/#h1
jpenny84

Postby mdesq » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:42 pm

I've heard this, but LastPass doesn't always do the right thing there.
mdesq

Postby jpenny84 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:00 am

Copying the password doesn't tell the extension to save it. I would recommend following the procedure in the manual for generating passwords in the future.
jpenny84

Postby mdesq » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:04 am

This is the feedback forum. I'm sharing feedback about a workflow I think is broken. Take it or leave it, but plenty of other people run into this as well.
mdesq

Postby stevebozz481 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:25 pm

I wanted to add I agree with mdesq. I am surprised when you click 'copy password' (sometimes you have to do this since 'use password' does not work with all forms) that lastpass doesn't save the password. +1 to the suggestion for lastpass to save generated passwords if you click 'copy password'. Makes more sense to me.
stevebozz481

Postby Eventhorizon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:16 am

Just had the exact same experience. LP would not fill the password field in cPanel when creating a new email account, so I had to copy / paste. For the first time in months I didn't bother pasting the password into a note (just in case). So now I don't have the password to the new account.

LP should keep a list of recently generated passwords in the vault. The user can delete them once the account is properly set up.

The patronizing suggestion to "follow the procedure in the manual" is not helpful - there are many sites where the "Use Password" button does not work.
Eventhorizon

Postby tomixyz401 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:08 pm

Agree with above complaints about the new passwords not getting always saved as they should be after copy pasting them from the generator, thus lost forever. There really should be history vault for these. I had picture in mind from the past that the History would have been more useful than it was today, when I lost a new password that LP didn't suggest to save.
tomixyz401

Postby jamietee » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:41 am

Same expwerience as mdesq - when will we have a fix ?
It's supposed to be LastPass not NoPass!
jamietee

Postby jpenny84 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:21 am

jamietee Wrote:Same expwerience as mdesq - when will we have a fix ?
It's supposed to be LastPass not NoPass!

Make sure that you are following the procedure outlined in the manual.

https://helpdesk.lastpass.com/generating-a-password/#h1

If you want the extension to save a generated password, it is very important to click the red "Use Password" button, even if you manually copy a generated password.
jpenny84

Next

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting