Can computer forensics recover LastPass data?

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, Israel, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Can computer forensics recover LastPass data?

Postby malcarada » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:59 am

What if my computer falls in the wrong hands and they have forensic tools freely available on the internet to recover my saved data? Can LastPass protect me against that?

I am assuming the database is encrypted and can not be cracked but what about all the data entered through the browser, maybe an undelete software could recover them from the internet history and cache, is this correct?
malcarada

Re: Can computer forensics recover LastPass data?

Postby JoeSiegrist » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:52 am

malcarada Wrote:What if my computer falls in the wrong hands and they have forensic tools freely available on the internet to recover my saved data? Can LastPass protect me against that?

I am assuming the database is encrypted and can not be cracked but what about all the data entered through the browser, maybe an undelete software could recover them from the internet history and cache, is this correct?

If you've left yourself logged in and you don't delete your session (either by using Logout other sessions when I login, or changing your password), your data can be recovered. If you've used account recovery and have lost control of your email that's another path that you might want to consider (you can turn off account recovery if you're sure you'll never forget your password). If you say "remember my password" when logging into LastPass your data can be recovered that way too (we highly discourage this and warn you when you try to do it).

Otherwise you're relying on the strength of your master password -- if it's strong you have little to worry about.
JoeSiegrist

Postby malcarada » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:55 am

What about the internet browser cache? Would anyone be able to recover anything from there?
malcarada

Postby JoeSiegrist » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:07 pm

malcarada Wrote:What about the internet browser cache? Would anyone be able to recover anything from there?

Just what's kept in the cache (nothing sensitive typically).
JoeSiegrist

Postby adain » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:42 am

sounds so delicious! Thanks
adain

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting