Can't Login to LastPass from Firefox 2--OK from IE6

Have questions about LastPass, or having problems using it? Ask for help here!

Moderators: admin, Israel, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Can't Login to LastPass from Firefox 2--OK from IE6

Postby dougvt » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:49 pm

Cannot login to LP from Firefox(trying to access AOL mail)--LP prompts for login info but does not give red "logged on" confirmation and will not then auto-login.

Have tried same from Internet Explorer 6 and works fine.

Have turned off all security app's, firewall, etc. and still won't work with Firefox.

Is it compatible with FF 2.0.0.16???

Any suggestions??

Thanks much.
dougvt

Re: Can't Login to LastPass from Firefox 2--OK from IE6

Postby sameer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:17 pm

Hi dougvt,

Yes, LP should work with your version of Firefox.

To clarify, by your post, I'm assuming your problem is with logging into the LP toolbar (red icon upper right in your browser) as opposed to logging into the AOL mail website (?)
If yes, can you tell us what happens after you try to login?
Does a red bar appear at the top of your browser telling you that login failed or are you saying that it just fails silently?

If logging into the LP toolbar works, and you have added the site to LP by logging in once before:
1) are the input boxes highlighted with our red icon when you go to the page?
2) does the yellow bar appear when you go to the page?

Can you paste the exact url so we can investigate further.

Thanks for using LastPass!
sameer
sameer
Site Admin

Postby dougvt » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi Sameer:

Thanks for your prompt response. When I open the login page (see URL below) for AOL Mail, the yellow login bar for LP appears--"LastPass Master Login" button. When I click LP login button, I then fill in email and password for LP account, but process fails "silently". LP icon remains grayed out in FF toolbar--does not turn red. I see no messages indicating login errors, blocked "transactions", anti-malware warnings, etc.

URL for AOL login =>

https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/logi ... mless=novl

This URL allows me to access AOL Mail if I directly input mail logon data to AOL boxes without using LP---which is to be expected. These AOL boxes do not display the LP red icon "markings" after I've tried to login in to LP.

I've checked thru many settings I know of which may prevent data exchange to your server, but can't seem to find anything. It's probably something simple but those are most often overlooked.

I like your app but would really like to get it working on Firefox rather than IE.

Thanks again,
dougvt
dougvt

Postby sameer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi dougvt,

This sounds a bit strange.

So basically, you are saying that you can't log into LP using the toolbar.
That trying to do so fails silently and the icon never turns red.
Meaning, that you can't use LP to log into ANY site - AOL being just one such example.
You've also said that you can browse other http and https sites with no problems, so port 80 and 443 are not being blocked by a firewall.

Can you please try logging into lastpass using the website at https://lastpass.com/ (upper right corner)
This is the same thing as logging in using the toolbar, so i'de be suprised if one works while the other doesn't,
but it's worth a shot to try and figure out why the login is failing for you.

Let me know if logging into the website works for you or not and we'll go from there.
It definitely works with FF2 (currently most of our users are using it with FF2), so i'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it quickly.

Thanks,
sameer
sameer
Site Admin

Postby dougvt » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:09 am

Hi again Sameer:

If I use LP grayed out icon in upper right per your suggestion, I still cannot login. Same problem as in using toolbar--fails silently.

If I directly access your LP site (enter URL in FF address bar), I am able to login. Even if I have logged in successfully via this method, I cannot then use LP on my AOL login page (LP icons grayed out and fails silently if I try to login to LP again from AOL Mail login page). I have tried this again after turning off all security app's. Still no success.

I can't figure this out yet and apologize for consuming your time. I'll try some other ways and let you know if successful.

Thanks, DougvT
dougvt

Postby sameer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:37 am

dougvt,

Again, I'm at a bit of a loss here.
I haven't heard of any other user having this issue, but I do believe that your problem is genuine.

Some other things you might try:

1) Disable all other add-ons by going to Firefox's Tools->AddOns menu
You'll need to restart firefox after this change, and you can reenable them after you finish testing

2) Back up your Firefox settings by using this tool: http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
And then uninstall and reinstall Firefox 2.0.0.16
Does LP work with vanilla 2.0.016?
If yes, then try reimporting your settings from the backup you made.

If you try the above, I'de really appreciate it if you could tell if it worked for you.

Thanks,
sameer
sameer
Site Admin

Postby dougvt » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi Sameer:

SUCCESS!!!

Was already in process of checking some FF add-ons effects when I checked forum for any guidance from you. Backed up my FF profile and then disabled all FF add-ons and then restored them one-at-a-time.

LP worked fine with all add-ons re-enabled. Therefore, I wasn't able to isolate which one might have been affecting LP although I suspect it was "No Script 1.7.9". I don't know why disabling/enabling the FF add-ons made LP work --but it did and I'm enjoying LP on FireFox at last.

Thanks for all your help and patience.

DougvT
dougvt

Postby sameer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:40 pm

That's great news dougvt,

Thanks for persisting.

We tested to make sure there weren't any issues with the most popular existing firefox extensions.
NoScript was one of the ones we tested against without issue.
We'll retest in various configurations again with NoScript to try to see if we can reproduce what you saw.

If you experience any other issues, please let us know.

Enjoy LastPass,
sameer
sameer
Site Admin

Postby rkerr1699 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:10 pm

I am having this exact same issue, but my config is different.

The config I am having trouble with is:
Max OSX 10.5.4
Firefox 3.0.1

I am having no issues on my XP or Vista boxes both running Firefox 3+ and IE7

I tried uninstalling each of my plug-ins, no success.

I tried reinstalling Lastpass plug-in, no success.

I uninstalled and re-installed Firefox 3.0.1, then the plug-in, no success.

Here is what I see:
- When I click the gray "* LastPass" button, the drop-down appears with the password prompt
- I enter my password (yes, correct password, works on the other machines)
- The LastPass asterisk flashes red, then immediately goes back to gray
- I am not signed in

If I login directly to the site on my Mac with Firefox, I am able to login, but the asterisk stays gray.

Sounds like a great tool - appreciate any help you can provide in making it work on my Mac.

Thanks,

Rob
rkerr1699

Postby JoeSiegrist » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:34 pm

Rob, can you send email to support@lastpass.com? We'll try sending you a debug version to your mac that might be able to give us more information.

Thanks,

Joe
JoeSiegrist

Next

Return to General Support & Troubleshooting