No import while installing?

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

No import while installing?

Postby monster » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:50 am

Hi! I have a major problem. I wanted to reinstall my computer, but without loosing all my passwords. I found lastpass while googling and decided to try that, since the passwords are saved on a server, and so should not get lost while reinstalling. Installation worked but somehow did not import anything. I was using Windows XP x64. I did not realize that there was a specific import dialog, since it was the first time I installed it, and assumed it had just imported everything automatically. Later I logged in Facebook, and it save that password. The I installed it on a clean pc, and saw that it had the Facebook password, so I thought it had worked and reinstalled my own PC. Now I just discovered on the reinstalled PC that it only knows the Facebook password. Not good! :( I have a backup (drive image), but I changed my partitioning, so I would have to backup the new installation, repartition like before (not so easy), reinstall the old installation backup, re-import, repartition like new again, reinstall the backup of the new install again. At least 1/2 a day wasted, if it works at all.

What did I do wrong, and is there some way of extracting my password from the drive image (mountable as read-only virtual drive)? 99% of my password should be in the old Firefox installation.
monster

Re: No import while installing?

Postby drew » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:07 am

When reinstalling, did you login to your existing LastPass account, or create a new account? It sounds like you may have created a new account.

If so, simply login to your old LastPass account in the browser plugin(s).

Drew
drew

Postby monster » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:29 am

Unfortunately, I'm sure I didn't create a new account. I have only one email, and I used it every time. The account wasn't empty, but it only had that one password that I typed in after first the installation. Also, I distinctively remember not seeing the imported password dialog on the original installation. I must have chosen "do not import anything" by accident, if such an option exists. I installed it at work too, and there I saw the import dialog with all the passwords I used from work. Those (non work related) are now imported. My best bet is to see if I can recover the password database of Firefox from the image file, and rerun the import, if that is somehow possible.
monster

Postby JoeSiegrist » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:28 am

You can from Firefox go to LastPass Icon -> Tools -> Import -> Firefox to see if your firefox passwords are still stored -- if you skipped import they're likely still there.
JoeSiegrist

Return to Windows Installer Questions