Startup Programs?

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Startup Programs?

Postby Opentoe » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:48 pm

I noticed there are TWO startup programs with Last Pass. I use Windows 7 and Google Chrome browser. Do I need both of these programs? Also, what do they do? See the attached screen shot of the startup programs.
Thanks.

I posted the image URL and the standard way in a forum post. I don't think the forum post method is working. That's why I posted both ways. If you are smart, you'll understand what I mean. : :D

http://www.photopiks.com/lastpass.jpg
Opentoe

Re: Startup Programs?

Postby jonat » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:16 pm

This has been asked before in the forum, but with no official reply. I suggest you try opening a support ticket and asking.
jonat

Postby Joel » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:16 am

I noticed these a couple weeks ago but ignored them. A few days ago I deleted them and have seen no difference. Since they are "run once" entries, I can only assume they were used only once (during an installation most likely), and never will be again. But why they are in the Startup programs in the first place is anyone's guess.
Joel

Postby jonat » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:52 pm

The name has "RunOnce" in it but Windows will run them every time you log in, as they aren't in the Windows RunOnce registry tree.

I went ahead and filed a ticket asking about these.
jonat

Postby jonat » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:18 pm

The answer I got is that it is safe to remove these after you have logged in once. I made the suggestion that they either find a different way to do this or to remove the entries automatically once executed.
jonat

Postby Joel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Good to know, jonat, thanks!
Joel

Postby loneogjensms226 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:16 pm

It's now 3 years later, and this is still an issue.
Task manager->start says this process have a high impact on boot time, but i doubt that is a reliable estimate...

This page is the first result when searching google, so i feel i must put the real answer in here.
From the taskmanager you can only disable the startup process not remove it. Just go and remove the shortcut "Install LastPass IE RunOnce" inside your start menus "startup" folder. This seems to be hidden in the new windows 10 menu (probably win8 too), so you will have to go to "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp" and remove the shortcut from there.
Hope this helps someone.

I urge lastpass to fix this. I refrain from making a ticket because i can see others in here have done so already. But this is a simple bug that should be easy to fix :)
loneogjensms226

Postby MasterCylinder » Mon May 30, 2016 11:51 am

Well, now there IS an official fix/post on this. It still happened to me all this time later. Windows 10 alerted me to it's presence!

https://lastpass.com/support.php?cmd=showfaq&id=5556
MasterCylinder

Return to Windows Installer Questions