Starting Winodws starts Google Authenticator?

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Starting Winodws starts Google Authenticator?

Postby jjcoolaus » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi All,
I've installed LastPass on a work PC (i have local administrator rights) and everytime i login to windows, the Google Authenticator for lastpass 2-factor pops up, like it's starting IE everytime i turn on the PC.

I've turned off "auto login if time since login = x seconds" and "open login dialogue when start browser" but it hasn't made any difference. I have made these changes in both Firefox and IE. I could not find a central app on the system that controls the settings/preferences of all browser extensions at once (i wish there was).

I would like to know why Google Authenticator is popping up everytime so i can stop it from happening. The login box doesn't appear, just the autenticator and as soon as i enter my code, my password vault is accessible from any browser on the system without the need to login again.

Hopefully i've put this in the right place, this is my first post in these forums.
jjcoolaus

Re: Starting Winodws starts Google Authenticator?

Postby drew » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:25 am

Are you running the LastPass for Applications tray icon?
drew

Postby jjcoolaus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 am

drew Wrote:Are you running the LastPass for Applications tray icon?

No I'm not, can you please tell me where I can get that? I just installed with the recommended Windows Universal Installer.

Thanks for replying to my topic! :)
jjcoolaus

Postby drew » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:03 am

It's a LastPass premium feature that can be downloaded from the download page of the website. However, I wasn't suggesting that it would solve your problem. If you were running it, it might point to a place where a Google Authenticator dialog was launching outside a browser.

Perhaps if you post a screenshot of the Google Authenticator dialog you're seeing, it might be easier to figure out where it's coming from.
drew

Postby jjcoolaus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:08 am

... and I am a premium subscriber.

I will provide screenshots of exactly what's happening when I get to the work in about 10 hours from now, rime permitting as work comes first.

My home pc does not exhibit this behaviour, but it's running windows 8.
jjcoolaus

Postby jonat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:53 pm

I'd suggest you run msconfig (click on Start and type msconfig, then click msconfig.exe when it appears in the search results). The Startup tab lists everything that starts when you log in to Windows. First, look through them for anything that might be starting a web browser. You can then start selectively disabling items and seeing which one triggers the behavior.

You might also, when the prompt comes up, CTRL-ALT-DEL and bring up the task manager and see what processes are running. Look for any web browser.
jonat

Postby jjcoolaus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Here is the screesnshot of what is happening:
http://db.tt/tkczZVOY
(excuse the cluttered desktop, to tell the truth i never use it to launch programs (i use taskbar shortcuts) or files (widnows + E is my most used shortcut) i really should get rid of all those dead icons (like Firefox10 lol) and screenshots)

I hovered over the IE icon deliberately, to show that whilst it appears to be starting up by itself, no windows are open and after authenticating, IE does not open. However, if I manually click the IE icon, IE opens and i'm logged in to lastpass.

I also want IE to prompt me to enter my passphrase again - it appears to be remembering it - why?

If i log out of lastpass in IE, then click to attempt to open it, i'll be asked to manually enter the passphrase as well as the authenticate key and that's what i want it to do everytime.

Lastpass doesn't ask me to enter my passphrase in firefox either - but for this PC I DO actually want this - this PC is not trusted! :(

If i goto lunch and have a heart attack, my manager can simply ring helpdesk and request they remote into my PC and/or reset my password so that other staff here can login. I don't know where my phone will be under this scenario.

*edit* thanks for the suggestion jonat - these are the processes I have on startup and all of them are forced by the IT department:

- 3 intel drivers
- windows sidebar
- citrix client
- Apple Push (for quicktime)
- Windows Script for the system information tool called BGInfo
- McAfee VirusScan Enterprise
- something called "Power DOCS API Host"
- Windows Script for our terminal emulator
- Microsoft Lync 2010
- McAfee Agent
- Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager
- Citrix Plugin (for virtual corporate applications)

I wonder if removing Lync 2010 from startup will fix it? Does this use IE elements to sign in (it's a corporate lync server)
jjcoolaus

Postby jonat » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:43 pm

It isn't Lync - I use that myself and don't have this issue. Of the startup items you list, my suspicions would aim toward the BGInfo script and the Power DOCS API Host". Some one of these is starting IE as a host. I think I have all the others on my own work system and don't get the popup.

My guess is that you have LP set to share login status across browsers and not to log out when the browser closes. You can disable both of these if you want in Preferences.

If nothing else, go to Preferences > Advanced and uncheck "Open login dialog when start browser". Then you'll have to click on the LP icon to log in.
jonat

Postby jjcoolaus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Fantastic - that has fixed it - thanks so much for your help!

Better yet, I've tried both browsers (IE & Firefox) and both ask me to enter my passphrase AND authenticate via google before logging in - that's terrific. I was almost thinking about going back to keepass because of this.

All this scripting (see below) just so that Service Desk can double click a taskbar icon to tell what our IP address is rather than run "cmd ipconfig /all" - clearly someone has too much time on their hands!

I'm disabling it - but here's a copy of the offending script for interest (with some critical elements like network path (which is actually a hostname) and e-mail address removed by me:

I particularly love the 3rd paragraph down, what a load of s***

Code: Select All Code
' ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
'
' DO NOT MODIFY THIS SCRIPT UNLESS SPECIFICALLY INSTRUCTED
'
' This script has been specifically designed to do the following task,
' (as desribed in the comments "usage"  and "description" below)
'
' Any modification to this script can cause failures in systems that occur
' after this script is run.
'
' All modification requests must be lodged with the Service Desk and
' the Tech Support team will review and implement changes as appropriate.
'
' Description: BGInfo Run script.
' Created by: Technical Support
' Email Address: removed
' Created date: 10/12/2007
' Filename: bginfo.vbs
' Version 1.0
'
' ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

On Error Resume Next

Dim oFSO, oNet, wsh, oIe
Set wsh      = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set oNet    = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
Set oFSO   = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set oIe      = WScript.CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")

Dim EnvSystemRoot
EnvSystemRoot = wsh.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%SYSTEMDRIVE%")

If oFSO.FolderExists(EnvSystemRoot) Then
   If oFSO.FileExists(EnvSystemRoot & "\afolder\bginfo.exe") Then
      If oFSO.FileExists("\\somenetworkpath\DFSRoot\applications\_Common\SysInternals BGInfo v4\common.bgi") Then
         wsh.RegWrite "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\BGInfo\EulaAccepted","1","REG_DWORD"
         wsh.Run EnvSystemRoot & "\SOE\bginfo.exe " &Chr(34)& "\\somenetworkpath\DFSRoot\applications\_Common\SysInternals BGInfo v4\common.bgi" &Chr(34)& " /taskbar"
      End If
   End If
End If
jjcoolaus

Postby jonat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Which of my suggestions fixed the problem for you? Looking at the script, I don't see where it actually starts IE though that may be done indirectly by BGInfo. The oIe variable isn't used in what you posted.
jonat

Next

Return to Windows Installer Questions