Win 8 Metro UI hang

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Win 8 Metro UI hang

Postby Elst » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:31 am

Hi,

I have an issue on my Windows 8 (x64) machine in that LastPass (v2.0.15) causes Metro UI to hang on start-up. It's actually a bit worse than that as my other start-up items also fail to load and the PC is effectively unusable. I eventually tracked the problem back to LastPass; I initially thought it was due to Aida64 as I'd just upgraded that and it was producing errors. But each time I've re-installed LastPass the problem has reappeared without fail.

I'm just glad I have a dual monitor setup as the Metro screen failed in the foreground so I was unable to see Task Manager or anything else I was trying to run. I eventually restored my PC to a usable state by using keyboard shortcuts to move task manager onto my 2nd screen. I killed the explorer process which returned some of the responsiveness of the computer. I was then able to use Task Manager to launch msconfig and set my computer to boot in safe mode. After rebooting into safe mode I was able to properly uninstall LastPass and reboot in normal mode. This brought my computer back to its normal operational state. I should mention that I also tried a few times to uninstall during a normal boot by running appwiz.cpl but this resulted in the same Metro UI freeze upon rebooting. So the only fix is to remove it from safe mode.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or able to offer a fix? As I've just forked out for a Premium sub and a couple of YubiKeys this is really rather annoying.

Thanks.

Edit: I should probably mention that this is for the desktop version NOT the Metro app from the store.
Elst

Re: Win 8 Metro UI hang

Postby Elst » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:02 pm

It seems the 2.0.20 update that was just released has resolved this problem.
Elst

Return to Windows Installer Questions