Handling Windows user accounts

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Handling Windows user accounts

Postby rivercitypass » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:56 am

Pre-sales question: Does LastPass support multiple Windows user accounts on the same computer?

In other words, will each user who logs in (via Win7) receive access to their own "clean" LP database? And, can this be backed up globally (by copying or imaging the entire directory)?

Thanks, in advance...I couldn't find the answer in the FAQs or w/forum search.
rivercitypass

Re: Handling Windows user accounts

Postby Harry Hobbes » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:49 am

rivercitypass Wrote:Pre-sales question: Does LastPass support multiple Windows user accounts on the same computer?...In other words, will each user who logs in (via Win7) receive access to their own "clean" LP database?

Yes. The "database" is stored in each user's "AppData" directory; specifically (in Windows 7) at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\LastPass

Each user has their own AppData.

You may test this. From the LastPass User Manual:
All LastPass users can test Premium offerings over a 14-day trial period. During that time period you will be able to download LastPass mobile applications for any of your smartphones, as well as try out our additional multifactor authentication methods.

You can simply login using your device to start using the Premium trial, and will have the option to purchase the Premium subscription at the end of the 2-week period.

And, can this be backed up globally (by copying or imaging the entire directory)?
Any backup that includes the user directories backs this up also.
Harry Hobbes

Postby Lars » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 am

LastPass has a per account functionality, meaning that you can use LastPass on the same computer (user log in) with as many LastPass accounts as you desire.
Lars

Postby rivercitypass » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:33 am

thanks, Harry and Lars for the prompt replies! I'm going to try this ASAP.
rivercitypass

Postby rivercitypass » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Harry Hobbes Wrote:
rivercitypass Wrote:Pre-sales question: Does LastPass support multiple Windows user accounts on the same computer?...In other words, will each user who logs in (via Win7) receive access to their own "clean" LP database?

Yes. The "database" is stored in each user's "AppData" directory; specifically (in Windows 7) at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\LastPass

Each user has their own AppData.

I've downloaded and installed LastPass for a trial on my Win7 machine, with multiple user accounts. When other users log in, do they also need to log into LP using *my* account credentials, or does every user need to create his/her LP account?

The scenario I have is multiple users on the same machine, each needing to store his/her passwords locally as well as access them via LP on other machines and via mobile devices.

Thanks again, in advance!
rivercitypass

Postby Lars » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 am

They should each generate their own LP account.. it's free for use on a computer, but requires Premium for use on portable devices.
Lars

Postby kilgry » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:46 pm

Lars is correct.

I would like to add that my wife and I share the same LP account and use "identities" to filter the list of sites we see in the LP vault. The cool thing is the LP remembers the identity you last used from a specific windows login...so, each time I log into LP I see my identity of sites in LP and my wife sees hers.

But yes, we do use the same username and password for LP since we are sharing the same LP account, and we do have access to ALL sites stored in LP. This is not a negative for us and is actually a positive.
kilgry

Return to Windows Installer Questions