Just installed LastPAss, no red icon visible in the task bar

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantie, robyn, JoeSiegrist

Re: Just installed LastPAss, no red icon visible in the task

Postby Agent88 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:17 pm

jonat wrote:LastPass doesn't use Java.

Then why does Java interfere with Last Pass?
Agent88

Postby jonat » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Can you prove it does? I uninstalled Java and LastPass still worked. A coincidence of installing something else is not proof. LastPass uses JavaScript and the native client is compiled C/C++ code - no Java.
jonat

Postby Agent88 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:36 pm

jonat wrote:Can you prove it does? I uninstalled Java and LastPass still worked. A coincidence of installing something else is not proof. LastPass uses JavaScript and the native client is compiled C/C++ code - no Java.

Perhaps you will consider it a coincidence, but my LastPass would not work when I had both Java 6 and Java 7 installed. I removed Java 6 and LP began working. Things went well for over a month until a Java update just recently, and LP stopped working again. This is specific to IE9 64bit. IE9 32bit works just fine. The issue is not Java and LastPass, it is LastPass and IE9/64bit AND JAVA.
Agent88

Postby jonat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:10 pm

I have had both Java 6 and 7 installed, and LP worked fine. I've also installed both the 32-bit and 64-bit Java, and LP works fine in both 32-bit and 64-bit browsers. Indeed, it worked even without Java installed. LastPass does not use Java - look somewhere else for your problem.
jonat

Postby Agent88 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Well, you may be quite correct. I am not an IT guy, just a layperson. I don't know the source of the LastPass issues that have plagued my system, just what seems to work for me. As for this last problem, my installation just started to work again on its own. The only change I am aware of is a Microsoft update (cumulative security update) and a Microsoft Essentials update. Now my IE9/64bit is allowing LastPass to work again. At this point, it might as well be voo-doo. The overriding issue is that no one at LastPass has a clue as to what is going on. That is worrisome.
Agent88

Postby Agent88 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:35 pm

I am still having this problem (LP add-on enabled but not working) intermittently. What appears to help is opening my LP Vault and then minimizing it to my task bar. With the Vault open and logged in, when I open a browser session, I pause to make sure the Icon turns red before I attempt to open a password protected site. This is with my 64 bit browser.... the 32 bit now has the problem I formerly had with the 64 bit browser only, whereas before it seemed immune to the issue. I cetainly don't trust LastPass. I keep a hardcopy of all my passwords in a desk drawer.

One question for you LP gurus out there: If I uninstall LastPass and re-install, will I lose the data in my Vault? My guess is that it would wipe it out and require a restore. How can I protect it from erasure if I unstall/reinstall LastPass?
Agent88

Postby Agent88 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:49 pm

Agent88 wrote:I am still having this problem (LP add-on enabled but not working) intermittently. What appears to help is opening my LP Vault and then minimizing it to my task bar. With the Vault open and logged in, when I open a browser session, I pause to make sure the Icon turns red before I attempt to open a password protected site. This is with my 64 bit browser.... the 32 bit now has the problem I formerly had with the 64 bit browser only, whereas before it seemed immune to the issue. I cetainly don't trust LastPass. I keep a hardcopy of all my passwords in a desk drawer.

One question for you LP gurus out there: If I uninstall LastPass and re-install, will I lose the data in my Vault? My guess is that it would wipe it out and require a restore. How can I protect it from erasure if I unstall/reinstall LastPass?

Not getting a response, I went ahead and took the chance that, since the vault is in the cloud, and it can be accessed via another PC, that my vault would not be erased.

I uninstalled and re-installed LastPass, this time watching carefully the sequence of installation. I noticed that this time, LP completed the installation by automatically placing my LP Vault link in my task bar as it finished. I used to do this manually to get it to work. I don't know why my previous installation did not do this, but now my LastPass seems to work properly. The LP toolbar is enabled and the icons are red. I also have a Command bar, so I have two red icons, either of which I can right-click on and get the tools I need. I am not sure if the redundancy can be eliminated by deleting one of the red icons... and I don't want to start playing with success. I have spent too much time trying to get LP to work smoothly, and I plan to leave well enough alone.

I have no idea what went wrong in my previous installation attempts, but now that it is working consistently, I am relieved. For everyone with issues.... make sure your LP Vault is open and logged in before you try to use the password manager. It is not intuitive that the vault must be open just to access a secured site. It is obvious it needs to be open to store a password, but no where does it say that it must be opened to use LastPass to log into a site. Even opening, logging in, and minimizing to the task bar does not always work if the program is not installed properly to begin with. My suggestion is to watch the installation carefully. If it does not automatically place your Vault in the taskbar, expect difficulties.
Agent88

Postby Agent88 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:05 pm

For Windows users:

Update: My LastPass now appears to be stable, now that I have uninstalled and re-installed LastPass. (Note: Your Vault is in the cloud, so not to worry about losing your stored passwords when you uninstall LastPass.) If you have issues and decide to re-install, do not rush things.... make sure you wait for each step to complete and watch for notices that may appear on the bottom of your screen. I have Windows 7 64bit, and IE9 both 32 and 64bit. I used the combo installation program for both 32 and 64bit versions....

Summary: 1) If your LastPass icons are not red, you have a problem. (You may not have but one icon if you do not use a Command toolbar). Right-click on the greyed-out icon, and if it doesn't turn red, expect problems. You will probably find that you will need to log into your Vault again.
2) Your LastPass program should automatically install with the Vault minimized to your task bar
3) Make sure you are logged into LastPass when you first open your browser. Sometimes LastPass will not do this automatically, especially after a system re-boot.

Whew! With these things in mind, LastPass (at least so far) is a good product, although it has a steep learning curve. I find that I like it now, and don't browse without it. (I still keep a hard copy of my passwords in my desk drawer, though! :lol: )
Agent88

Previous

Return to Windows Installer Questions