Problems installing to Firefox Portable

Help with the Windows installer (lastpass.exe)

Moderators: admin, anatoly_LP, chantieLP, JoeSiegrist, robyn

Problems installing to Firefox Portable

Postby mangodurian » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:51 pm

I am running the current latest version of Firefox portable (v6.01) downloaded from portableapps.com.

After installing LastPass Portable for Firefox, with an installation that appeared to run successfully, on restarting firefox, the lastpass Icon was not invisible. I checked all my toolbars, but no sign of it. I also checked on the "customize" list to see if the icon might be there, but nope. So I checked my addons list, and it shows no sign of lastpass being installed. Strangely enough though, when I go to the /firefoxportable/data/profile/extensions directory, there is an entry for lastpass there (a directory called "support@lastpass.com").

I presumed that it could be some kind of addon incompatibility clash, and ran a fresh clean install of firefoxportable with no other addons, and installed once more the lastpass portable version. exactly the same thing. no sign of my icon, no entry in the addons list. but entry in the extensions directory. Any ideas anyone?

all help greatly appreciated.
regards,
mango.
mangodurian

Re: Problems installing to Firefox Portable

Postby Israel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Open firefox portable and go here to download the extension : http://www.lastpass.com/dl
Israel
Site Admin

Postby mangodurian » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:04 pm

Hmm.. OK.. I'll try that, but one thing I failed to mention yesterday, (actually, I've only just noticed) was that after the failed attempt at installing portable lastpass as outlined above, it seems that none of my addons are currently able to update themselves, nor is it possible to install new add ons since. They appear to install/update correctly, but after I restart firefox, none of them have been updated, and a "check for updates" will fetch and update the same updates again and again, with them seemingly disappearing after each restart..

Anyhow, I will attempt once more to reinstall firefox portable afresh, and then install lastpass from the addon at link you provide (in what way is it different to the one accessible through the downloads page?), and post feedback after.

thanks,
Mango.
mangodurian

Postby mangodurian » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:29 pm

OK.. first thanks Israel for offering support.
2nd.. I completely deleted firefox portable, and reinstalled from the installation file downloaded from portableapps.com. (version 6.01, on windows 7 with all the latest updates).

I then installed the lastpass addon directly from the link you provided above. It was a 2.4 mb download/installation, and appeared to run successfully.

However, as before, after a restart, there was no sign of the icon anywhere, no sign of lastpass having been installed in my addons manager, but one directory created in my extensions folder as outlined also above.

Out of curiousity, I then tried to install another simple no great frills addon, and although it appeared to install correctly, it clearly did not. Thus it appears I am left again with a firefox portable that is of little use to me as far as addons are concerned. - and yes, if I install firefox again, the 2nd addon installs perfectly fine, it is only after an attempt at lastpass installation, that addons somehow get their knickers in a twist.

any further suggestions?

thanks,
Mango.
mangodurian

Postby mangodurian » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:40 pm

I might also add I have a 64bit laptop running windows 7 home edition. no updates pending. And still have not been able to find a workable solution to this problem.
mangodurian

Return to Windows Installer Questions